info on switching from windows 2 linux gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmarinegeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: info on switching from windows 2 linux gentoo Reply with quote

hey all im a long time windows sufferer(user) and i want to make the move to linux,is gentoo fairly straight forward, do i need anti virus/trojan anti spyware and firewall, also the laptop i am thinking of buying has the option of 64bit is that needed...any things to enlighten me would be great thanks all cheers8)
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Gentoo as your first distro if you really want to get to know Linux. To get an idea for how your first week with Gentoo will be, look at the handbook: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml. That's how to install Gentoo. So honestly, I wouldn't call it "straight forward." Most people who use Gentoo used another distribuiton for a while, then wanted more control and options so they came to Gentoo. Lots of people like that learn more about Linux installing Gentoo than they did in the weeks/months using other distributions. So if you want to learn Linux, Gentoo's the distribuition you should use, but if you want something that installs in a couple of hours and "just works" you'll want to look elsewhere.

You do not need antivirus/trojan or antispyware with Linux. The last figure I heard was a total of 40 viruses for Linux, and all those are long gone. Due to the way Linux works I doubt any of them got very far. People do run antivirus software on Linux, but that's just on servers to protect Windows machines. I don't know of any adware or spyware for Linux right now.

You should always have some sort of firewall. There's how-tos around the forums on how to set those up. I don't bother since I'm behind a router and don't want to deal.

64bit is optional, just like running on any other architecture is optional (you can run Gentoo on an IBM Power5 server if you want), it is not necessary. Most people here still use x86. I use amd64 right now just because I think it's cool, but really there's not benefit to running amd64 right now. You still might as well get the 64bit option on the processor though, because in the future we will probably start seeing more uses for 64bit.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
oldmarinegeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks donjuan,that was a wealth of info cheers:P
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, and good luck switching.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: