gimp 2.2, how is Debian winning?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
statmobile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: gimp 2.2, how is Debian winning? Reply with quote

Now I don't mean to start a flame war here, but I must say that I was extremely shocked to log on to our Debian server and see that gimp 2.2.4 was installed on it. This is in testing on Debian, but we still don't have it as stable on gentoo? I must say that I'm extremely shocked by this. I know I could unmask it probably, but what is the delay? I'm just surprised to see it already on Debain.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which debian??? Debian woody (stable branch) of course not. You say a debian unstable branch server, so you saw 2.2.4, you are comparing debian unstable (thus SID) with gentoo unstable (thus ~x86). That's the point. I don't know the version of gimp that comes with debian woody, but i had it installed at least 6 months ago or more, so, it is not 2.2.4 for sure, and the stable brach of debian has not changed since then for sure, the stable branch of debian never changes, unless a new stable is released, and then the name changes, and next will not be woody.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Even in ~x86 the highest available in Gentoo is 2.2.3. I would imagine there's good reason though (either there's bugs, or the devs are too busy -- both are valid reasons IMO).
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
Interesting. Even in ~x86 the highest available in Gentoo is 2.2.3. I would imagine there's good reason though (either there's bugs, or the devs are too busy -- both are valid reasons IMO).

Yep, I did not looked that far, but it's not a question to worry so much about. In my opinion the development releases are just that, development. Tomorrow it could be different and, anyway, what's the thing?

If we look we would find that debian has some packs with higher versions, for many others is gentoo, and there are also packages that mandrake has on it repositories and gentoo not (comes kguitar to mind). If we want to compare then, come! there are lots of distro out there waiting. :D
iverson0881
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your voice should be directed at bug #83646

Seems to have moved along but nobody has said anything since 3/22/05
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: