Gentoo Installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qootie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Gentoo Installer Reply with quote

Hi,

I really don't know whom this question should be asked directly to so I decided to post it here.

I've been using Linux for the last couple of years. I've tried different distributions such as Redhat, Mandrake. I couldn't find a distrubution which suits what I want. Then I found about Gentoo and loved it.
I love the idea of Gentoo. Having the freedom of choices and not carrying a distribution name everywhere you look such as icons or boot loading screens or all the other stuff! Additionally, there is an excellent documentation and community support.

However, I think there is something missing, or maybe I am not the target person for Gentoo.

I was very interested in trying Gentoo and having a go with it. So I started going through the Gentoo installation guide, both the Networkless and the standard one.
The installation guide seems like it follows simple standard steps which is a great thing.
So I have some questions to ask.

- Why doesn't Gentoo have an easy installer which would make everything a lot easier? An Installer which helps you through the choices you make instead of doing everything on CLI.

- Why do I have to compile a package I want to use, i.e. KDE ? A friend of mine told me that it took him 8 hours to compile KDE? Why can't I have a ready GRP (Gentoo Reference Platform) of it? It looks like I can use emerge to update it anyway. Or does emerge just get the source code and I have to compile what emerge gets? Is there a tool like emerge which works with GRPs?

- Why can't I save the installation I have and burn it on a CD or CDs so I would't have to do the entire installation process all over again?

My point is, I would really like to have a Gentoo installer which is able to offer me the choices that Gentoo offers and works with the pre-compiled packages (GRPs) so I wouldn't have to wait for ages to compile every single bit. An installer would make life a lot easier for the users like me.

So the very basic question is : is there going to be an Easy Gentoo Installer?

By the way, If the question I ask is too naive please say so :)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Installer Reply with quote

qootie wrote:
So the very basic question is : is there going to be an Easy Gentoo Installer?
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/
qootie wrote:
By the way, If the question I ask is too naive please say so :)
It's not naive, it's just very rushed. Five seconds on Google would have given you the answer. Would've been faster than to type in this post now, wouldn't it? ;-)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
qootie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks.

I agree, maybe I am a little bit impatient :)

I just want what Gentoo offers on my desktop and my laptop without any hassle and ASAP :)

Thanks again for the immediate reply :)
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gentoo is something anyone would want ASAP wihout any hassle. A Gentoo system is basically a "work in progress". Not a day goes by without me emerging something or fiddling with this or that .conf file.

There's something called Vidalinux that uses portage and has a GUI installer... Never tried it tho, it scares me.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: