Unable to boot with Live CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Unable to boot with Live CD Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to install Gentoo Linux on this computer

I had the 1.4 Live CD, so stuck it in the CD Drive and booted it. Unfortunately, the statup freezed. The few line above the point where it froze are

====================
PCI_IDE: chipset revision 162
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
====================

Nothing works after this - num lock / caps lock... Have to do hard reboot to get stuck at the same location again.

I have a hard disk connected on hda, CD-RW on hdc and DVD Drive on hdd.
Mobo: Asus A7N8X, Nvidia's nForce2 chipset

The I tried to boot with my Mandrake 9.0 first CD in, which got stuck at the same position. I remember having run Mandrake on this earlier.

Windows 98 works fine.

Any ideas whats up ?

TIA
tux-fan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to set the IDE mode to a more moderate one within your Mobo's BIOS settings. (try to set it to "IDE mode: auto" for example)
Gelfling
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same mb, and I had the same problem. I used 1.4_RC2 live CD and I downloaded a new iso image because I thought the first one might have been corrupted, after burning it to a cd I was able to get to gentoo's "boot:" prompt then I typed "gentoo noscsi nonet" because hardware detection will choke on you if you just hit enter to start gentoo install. I've still been unsuccessful installing Gentoo, if you have better success please let me know...
Phanbox64: MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3500+, ATI Radeon 9800XT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2 1024MB SDRAM, 2 WD 74GB Raptors & 120GB SATA HD, Audigy2 ZS, Plextor PX-708A DVD-/+RW, Pioneer DVD-106S DVD-ROM, CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: It works now Reply with quote

I went into the BIOS and selected "Load setup defaults", then set my boot device to CDROM. I did not change anything.

Now I am able to boot with Gentoo 1.4rc2

I must have screwed up something else in the BIOS earlier.

HTH
Gelfling
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did some hardware swapping, I've given up trying to use Gentoo with the A7N8X, now I'm using my Abit IT7 Max2 V2.0 with a P4 2.4 Ghz cpu. I've successfully installed Gentoo, installed xfree but when I run startx the keyboard doesn't work and my Logitech MX700 is dead as a doornail. When xfree starts up I'm in twm ctrl-alt-backspace won't close X down, trying to type in a term gets me no where. My keyboard is a logitech ifreedom cordless and as you can see it's working fine with my A7N8X based pc running Win XP Pro. I'll search around and see I can find a fix.
Phanbox64: MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3500+, ATI Radeon 9800XT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2 1024MB SDRAM, 2 WD 74GB Raptors & 120GB SATA HD, Audigy2 ZS, Plextor PX-708A DVD-/+RW, Pioneer DVD-106S DVD-ROM, CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case
chriso11
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Same problem that I have had Reply with quote

This problem has been killing me too. I have been searching the forums for the longest time waiting for a solution.

I am running an Asus a7n8x Deluxe MB with an adaptec 2940u2w controller. No IDE drives, only scsi HDs and Plextor SCSI drives. No conflicts on the SCSI IDs.

I was running Gentoo 1.2 on an ECS k7s51 MB with no significant problems.

However, I can't get beyond this boot issue. I have been able to boot using Toms Root Boot Disk, but I was going to wait until 1.4rc3 before trying again.

Any suggestions? Are there any Asus a7n8x MB users who have gotten past this?
Sykus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalk up another one having this problem. i just got this board (a7n8x deluxe) friday, and i'm sad that i can't boot to gentoo :(
Sykus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disabling the 3com ethernet lets gentoo boot up. i haven't actually reinstalled yet, but that should get you started.
GTVincent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem that I have had Reply with quote

chriso11 wrote:
This problem has been killing me too. I have been searching the forums for the longest time waiting for a solution.

I am running an Asus a7n8x Deluxe MB with an adaptec 2940u2w controller. No IDE drives, only scsi HDs and Plextor SCSI drives. No conflicts on the SCSI IDs.

I was running Gentoo 1.2 on an ECS k7s51 MB with no significant problems.

However, I can't get beyond this boot issue. I have been able to boot using Toms Root Boot Disk, but I was going to wait until 1.4rc3 before trying again.

Any suggestions? Are there any Asus a7n8x MB users who have gotten past this?

Try booting with 'gentoo noscsi' and modprobing the correct modules after booting. That worked for me (Tekram 390U2W SCSI). Of course then it hung on trying to scan for de4x5 hardware. But that was over after I turned USB support back on. Confusing, but I was finally able to have Gentoo instead of Redhat on this motherboard! I was able to install with the 3com card enabled. This only worked for me using 1.4RC3. Previous versions just hung at one point or another.
nitromullet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem, but with a twist. I am unable to boot the livecd on my A7N8X/Deluxe at all. The system doesn't recognize the 1.4rc1 cd as bootable media. To make this issue more perplexing, I have used this cd to install gentoo before on a VIA KT333 system with no problems, so I know that the data isn't corrupt. I already have WinXP installed on the first HD of the A7N8X system and it has no problems booting from the WinXP install media. However, when I put in the gentoo cd, it just boots straight into Windows. Is this becase I'm using 1.4rc1 or is there somthing else that could be causing this? I have been really happy with the A7N8X under Windows so far, and I would love to run gentoo on this box as well. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-NitroMullet
BFG GeForce FX 5900
nitromullet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, nevermind. I fixed this issue myself. I was trying to boot from a cdrom attached to a pci IDE controller. I hooked it up to the onboard IDE and had no problems. I disabled the 3com controller in the bios and was even able to get connectivity with the Nvidia port as Sykus says. Thx :)
BFG GeForce FX 5900
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: