What processor do I have?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiethehutt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: What processor do I have? Reply with quote

I have a 450Mhz k6 processor (could also be k6-2), and I want to know if I can use -march=i686, someone on #gentoo said k6-2 processors were i686 when I came there asking how I could have portage rebuild with the -march=k6 flag, as I thought a k6 wasn't a full 686.

Now this system is currently running as a headless server quite happily with -march=i686. However I downloaded 2005.0 for 686 to run a diskless client from this k6 and when I came to chroot in it failed until I changed to 2005.0 for x86.

cat /proc/cpuinfo looks like this
Code:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 12
cpu MHz         : 451.096
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx pni syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips        : 890.88

(Which is basically the same as a guy with a 500Mhz k6-2 had when I googled (he had different bogomips and speed but everything else was the same))

and uname -pim returns
Code:
i586 AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor AuthenticAMD

So I'm a bit stuck, do I have a K6 or a K6-2, how could I find out more (I'd rather not remove the heat sink)? Can I continue running it with -march=i686 or does it need changed? And if it needs changed how should I do this, I'll need to rebuild everything but how?

Thanks in advance, you guys are great! :D
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other forever from our living rooms. That way we won't even have to go outside." - A Scanner Darkly By PK Dick
stevyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever said you could use i686 is wrong. Use 586. Search the gentoo wiki for appropriate CFLAGS
jamiethehutt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot about the wiki this time.:oops:

I've followed some links from there and got myself sorted out. I think I'm in for at least 18 hours of compiling now...:lol:

Thanks again!
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other forever from our living rooms. That way we won't even have to go outside." - A Scanner Darkly By PK Dick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: