Best option for su access for users?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Best option for su access for users? Reply with quote

This is mostly for my own use, as I prefer to work as a regular user and then su in a term as needed.

Anyhow, I've seen various posts on the matter, but nothing comprehensive on options and setup. I was prompted to post this by the fact that I apparently can't su to root as user. I've been chipping away with it, but drew a blank, so here I am. :D
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is always a good idea to do your everyday work (or play around) with a regular account. Log in as root if you need to change system files or upgrade your system. To be able to su to root from a user account, that user needs to me in a group wheel... So, open a text editor and add that user to /etc/group. Then, if you need to access root's account, just type
Code:
su -

You also should take a look at sudo if you want a user to execute some programs that only root can... :wink:

taurus
Fenster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taurus wrote:
Yes, it is always a good idea to do your everyday work (or play around) with a regular account. Log in as root if you need to change system files or upgrade your system. To be able to su to root from a user account, that user needs to me in a group wheel... So, open a text editor and add that user to /etc/group. Then, if you need to access root's account, just type
Code:
su -

You also should take a look at sudo if you want a user to execute some programs that only root can... :wink:

taurus

Well that works for me. Thank'ee :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: