View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devrethman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: 2 monitors on a toshiba laptop Reply with quote

I have a Toshiba 5105-s901 Laptop (p4 2ghz, nvidia geforce4 440 go) and I just installed gentoo on it. Everything is working fine except for sound(which i don't care about cause the speakers suck anyway) and the external monitor port
I don't want to have 2 seperate desktops on the 2 screen, what i want is to have it so that when a monitor is plugged into the external port, the same picture shows up on it and on the built in LCD. I don't use this feature often, but it's great for hookiung up projectors to so i can give presentations with it. Currently the p;icture will only show up on one monitor at a time. When i have no monitor plugged in, it shows up on the LCD, and when i plug in an external monitor/projector and reboot, everything shows up on that monitor, but not the LCD.
slikdigit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I have a toshiba laptop too, and have the same problem. I don't know that there is a solution; I think toshiba implemented this in some nonstandard way, and do not have specs released. I think one would have to reverse engineer from a windows install to find out how to switch monitors normally. Might be an ACPI thing
Sir Alaran
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6111/README.txt

Scroll down to Appendix K. That might help solve your problem.
akataz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 monitors on a toshiba laptop Reply with quote

unclefuzzums wrote:
I have a Toshiba 5105-s901 Laptop (p4 2ghz, nvidia geforce4 440 go) and I just installed gentoo on it. Everything is working fine except for sound(which i don't care about cause the speakers suck anyway) and the external monitor port
I don't want to have 2 seperate desktops on the 2 screen, what i want is to have it so that when a monitor is plugged into the external port, the same picture shows up on it and on the built in LCD. I don't use this feature often, but it's great for hookiung up projectors to so i can give presentations with it. Currently the p;icture will only show up on one monitor at a time. When i have no monitor plugged in, it shows up on the LCD, and when i plug in an external monitor/projector and reboot, everything shows up on that monitor, but not the LCD.

The sound will work if you select the intel driver under open sound in the kernel. The Intel chipset is IHC and not PCI. My my laptop is a Toshiba 5105-s901 as well. I have the fn monitor key set up to use tv out, second monitor and laptop monitor and second monitor simultaneously. However not without a lot of work. Many things in the int he config file depend on exactly how your graphics are set up. Did you set enable nVidiaRiva support in the kernel or did you emerge nvidia-kernel after compiling and installing the kernel? Do you have the vert and Horz sync set up correctly? If you want to send your /etc/X11/xorg.conf I will take a look at it. Do you have your fn keys workling? Let me know.

akataz
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: