resizing partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkylerF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: resizing partition Reply with quote

i'm pretty new to this, so i'm obviously a bit naive, so bear with me. i was following the handbook on a live CD, but when i got to "genkernel all" i got an error because i didn't partition big enough(not paying attention on my part; i am planning on a duel -boot thing with windows, so i only used like have my partition) can anybody tell me how to resize the partition without having to start the whole process over?
SnEptUne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose your root partition is too small? However, not all filesystem can be resized. What is your partition layout? I am not sure if the liveCD has "parted", but you can use that program to resize your partition easily (that is if the filesystem is supported)
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SystemRescueCD has GNU Parted on it, which I believe can resize an NTFS or FAT32 partition. If not use PartitionMagic or brush up on those Windows diskpart skills.
renjuko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Resize utils on Live Cd Reply with quote

SkylerF there are resize utils on the LiveCD. You didn't mention which partition you need to resize and what filesystem it is.

If you need to resize a windows partition you can use the ntfsresize, which is on the Live CD, also be sure to boot into windows first and defrag the disk. This will help make sure that you can shrink the windows parition down to it's smallest possible size. Also be sure to note the current entries in fdisk and the starting blocks for the partition you will need it later. Everything else will prompt you or be displayed on the screen.

If you need to resize a linux parition, the prior posts point you in the right direction with parted, which is on the live CD. For this you have all the info you need simply
Code:
parted --help

hope that helps

-renjuko
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: