View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Major reiser4 breakdown Reply with quote

When I came home today after beeing away from home for a week my computer started to complain about input/output errors when trying to start programs. The next time I made a reboot it simply didn't boot linux at all, it didn't even find grub.

So, I put my reiser4 livecd into the cd-rom and rebooted, now things started to get strange. fsck.reiser4 can't find any file system, if I run it with the --build-fs flags it gives the following error: "NO REISER4 METADATA WERE FOUND. FS RECOVERY IS NOT POSSIBLE"

Is this just a hardware problem or can it have something to do with reiser4, I recall that I upgraded reiser4progs to version 1.0.4 just before I turned off the computer the last time before the problems started.

Any ideas, I don't honestly don't know what to do right now, just anything really...

I'm sorry I can't give any more detailed information but all the logs are on the affected partitions, I'll try to answer as good as I can on any questions... :/

And please, don't come with that you-shoud-have-made-a-backup-talk, I know I should have...
brantgurga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and rule out hard drive failure, you might try a livecd with smartmontools on it and make sure all of the SMART attributes of your hard drive are above their thresholds.
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*downloading from http://www.sysresccd.org*

Anything else I can do in the meantime? It will take another 30 minutes with my connection...
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd honestly say its a hardware problem. you think they would have come across this in the last year.

REMEMBER

it WAS stated quite bluntly that Reiser4 WILL SHOW WEAKNESS in hardware --- many drives will break down and die if they cannot handle what it requires due to flaws in the device.

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
it WAS stated quite bluntly that Reiser4 WILL SHOW WEAKNESS in hardware --- many drives will break down and die if they cannot handle what it requires due to flaws in the device.

Ah ha h ah aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
dogshu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were definitely problems with the first official patch for 2.6.11... I got undeletable, corrupted files when using that patch. Fortunately they were all under /var/tmp, so I just backed up the filesystem, then re-ran mkfs.reiser4 and copied the data back. The second 2.6.11 patch works fine for me, looks like there's a third out now though:
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.11/
vrln
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically enough I've never had any problems with my reiser4 partition, but the reiser3 / one did break down on chritmas day.

disclaimer: yes I know reiser4 is unstable etc and not meant to be used at this stage and that this is just funny luck
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrln wrote:
disclaimer: yes I know reiser4 is unstable etc and not meant to be used at this stage and that this is just funny luck

Actually I don't think it is meant to be unstable any more - it hasn't been merged into vanilla because of political issues rather than it still being in beta.
[url]namesys.com[/url] certainly makes it look like it's ready.

I haven't had any issues with it in ages.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:

Well yes, but then microsoft.com says that Linux has a higher TCO than Windows.
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Archangel1 wrote:

Well yes, but then microsoft.com says that Linux has a higher TCO than Windows.
LOL

but hey, every filesystem breaks now and then. duh reiser4 is no exeption...
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
Actually I don't think it is meant to be unstable any more - it hasn't been merged into vanilla because of political issues rather than it still being in beta.

the political issues being it's locking problems, poor interactivity, shoddy alt-arch support, or the fact that the only people that actually claim R4 is stable are Namesys and end users repeating Namesys marketing fluff verbatim? no it's not beta any longer. that doesn't make it stable.
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
Archangel1 wrote:

the political issues being it's locking problems, poor interactivity, shoddy alt-arch support, or the fact that the only people that actually claim R4 is stable are Namesys and end users repeating Namesys marketing fluff verbatim? no it's not beta any longer. that doesn't make it stable.

Read the kernel mailinglists, quite some arguments against reiser4 where like "why do we need another filesystem" (eg why not dump jfs, xfs and ext2 if ext3 does the job?) and "hey reiser4 can do things other filesystems can't, lets not allow reiser4 in the kernel" (eg stop working on the kernel, 1.0 did a fine job. why do we need features?).

OK, the locking thing has to be fixed (and they are working on it). the interactivity will benefit from this. and well, its new, so no-one can say it is stable. but don't say it is unstable unless you can prove it (so: give a nice how-to to lose data with reiser4).

if ext3 is fine for you, thats nice. but don't say we don't need other filesystems. reiser4 and ZFS are the only INNOVATING filesystems. We should support that, stable or not. and as ZFS isn't gpl, and reiser4 is...

if you don't want innovation, stop wining, continue using you'r comodore 64 or apple II and don't bother anyone. if you want innovation, then help testing reiser4 (or other innovations, as there are many things going on) or don't bother anyone.

thanx.

sorry for being rude, but some people are so clueless negative concerning reiser4, and I don't see why. did Hans kill your dog? wazzup? He is spending time to create a new filesystem. a filesystem that is ready for the future. he might not create a perfect filesystem, but at least he is trying to innovate!
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry for being rude, but some people are so clueless negative concerning reiser4, and I don't see why. did Hans kill your dog?

well, i believe you didnt read on lkml ... search a bit and you´ll know why some devs dont like reiser4.
I really cant say its faster than any other fs i had running here, just my impressions of course, have no numbers.

cheers
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gringo wrote:
Quote:
sorry for being rude, but some people are so clueless negative concerning reiser4, and I don't see why. did Hans kill your dog?

well, i believe you didnt read on lkml ... search a bit and you´ll know why some devs dont like reiser4.
I really cant say its faster than any other fs i had running here, just my impressions of course, have no numbers.

cheers

I did read lkml, altought the entire tread is very big :D

but there where some arguments, but also alot bashing and flaming. all I see is dev's that really like their precious current hacks on ancient filesystems, and don't like the fact the new one seems to have done some things right, for the first time. but hey, that's just me.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstoned wrote:
but there where some arguments, but also alot bashing and flaming. all I see is dev's that really like their precious current hacks on ancient filesystems, and don't like the fact the new one seems to have done some things right, for the first time. but hey, that's just me.

...except that the "precious current hacks on ancient filesystems" are doing things properly, and reiser4 is doing everything the wrong way. Dismissing it as old broken behaviour is completely wrong -- things are the way they are for a lot of very good reasons, and reiser4's new 'features' are done in completely the wrong way.
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
superstoned wrote:

...except that the "precious current hacks on ancient filesystems" are doing things properly, and reiser4 is doing everything the wrong way. Dismissing it as old broken behaviour is completely wrong -- things are the way they are for a lot of very good reasons, and reiser4's new 'features' are done in completely the wrong way.

Linus himself said he didn't like the 'old way' at all, saying it was an ugly hack. (are we talking about the same? I am talking about this post

anyway, reiser4 also makes things possible the old system couldn't do - that's better by definition, imho. And about the 'every file is a directory', I hope they can find some way to make it possible. that's what (kernel)hackers are for :D

and of course, there is this now... :D
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people that have a vested interest in something will resist change no matter if it's right or wrong but just because it is a change. If you go way back on the lkml you'll see that reiserfs v3 had the same "love" when it was presented to the kernel devs. It's also pretty easy to bash/trash/belittle/troll-about/make-false-claims about something when you don't even use it's earlier version and never intend to use either one.
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
Most people that have a vested interest in something will resist change no matter if it's right or wrong but just because it is a change. If you go way back on the lkml you'll see that reiserfs v3 had the same "love" when it was presented to the kernel devs. It's also pretty easy to bash/trash/belittle/troll-about/make-false-claims about something when you don't even use it's earlier version and never intend to use either one.

exactly. of course, others welcome new developments, no matter how disruptive they are, just because they are new :roll:

but, I'd choose new over old anytime... just because its more exiting. if I wanted to use old tech, I'd go for Microsoft Windows.
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
feld wrote:

Reiser4 has serious problems and shouldn't be used for any data you don't want corrupted or destroyed.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
ciaranm wrote:
feld wrote:

Reiser4 has serious problems and shouldn't be used for any data you don't want corrupted or destroyed.

Much better.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstoned wrote:
dirtyepic wrote:
Archangel1 wrote:

Read the kernel mailinglists,

i do..

Quote:
quite some arguments against reiser4 where like "why do we need another filesystem" (eg why not dump jfs, xfs and ext2 if ext3 does the job?) and "hey reiser4 can do things other filesystems can't, lets not allow reiser4 in the kernel" (eg stop working on the kernel, 1.0 did a fine job. why do we need features?).

that's not what i'm talking about. yes i agree that there are some kernel devs that have that attitude, and hate anything that doesn't fit in with their cookie-cutter view of what needs doing, but that wasn't what i was referring to. i'm talking about technical flaws in the filesystem itself.

Quote:
OK, the locking thing has to be fixed (and they are working on it). the interactivity will benefit from this. and well, its new, so no-one can say it is stable. but don't say it is unstable unless you can prove it (so: give a nice how-to to lose data with reiser4).

cool. when they do it might be considered for inclusion.

here you go, step by step.

install gentoo using LVM2 disk management.
    create R4 /usr/portage, /var, and /home logical volume partitions on hda4.
    create ext3 /usr, /tmp, and /opt/ logical volume partitions partitions on hda4.
    reboot a couple times

for extra fun, you can then try resizing your /home lv partition. then you can play with reiserfsck all day long.

Quote:
if ext3 is fine for you, thats nice. but don't say we don't need other filesystems. reiser4 and ZFS are the only INNOVATING filesystems. We should support that, stable or not. and as ZFS isn't gpl, and reiser4 is...

i didn't say anything like that. you can see everything i said quoted above. i don't even use ext3. it seems you're making up an argument for me.

i'm all for innovation and filesystems kicking other filesystems' asses and etc. what i'm against is broken software that people claim works perfectly despite overwhelming and independant evidence to the contrary. i switched to linux to get away from that kind of thing.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search of the forums brings up a fair amount of problems with lvm2 so I wouldn't say it's a very good choice for coming up with a sure way of "breaking reiser4" when lvm2 can be at fault just as much. ;)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite so,
Quote:
for extra fun, you can then try resizing your /home lv partition. then you can play with reiserfsck all day long.

If I understand what you posted that is an lv operation that caused the problem, so why blame R4?

Personally, I have only had one problem that I put down to R4 and it turned out to be a flakey PCI usb2 card that I had installed.

If I unjustly blamed R4 and was slow to see it was the hardware it was probably because I was influenced by all the crap that gets thrown at R4.

I have all my portage and portage_tmpdir on R4 so it gets that hardest thrashing my usage puts on the system. I have not had any issues since it was released as v1.0

That's subjective , but it works fine for me.
8)
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
quite so,
Quote:

If I understand what you posted that is an lv operation that caused the problem, so why blame R4?

Personally, I have only had one problem that I put down to R4 and it turned out to be a flakey PCI usb2 card that I had installed.

If I unjustly blamed R4 and was slow to see it was the hardware it was probably because I was influenced by all the crap that gets thrown at R4.

I have all my portage and portage_tmpdir on R4 so it gets that hardest thrashing my usage puts on the system. I have not had any issues since it was released as v1.0

That's subjective , but it works fine for me.
8)

look, that's why I don't agree with people saying its fundamentally broken. How can something work for so many people when it is 'fundamentally broken' etc etc? Ok, it has bugs. all software has bugs, especially if it's such a complex piece of software, and relatively new. But I don't expect a 'fundamentally broken' filesystem to work for a year or more on portage and portage's tmpdir (and some people even use it as root) without problems.

@ dirtyepic
my post wasn't only meant for you - it was more directed to those claiming reiser4 is (I say it again) fundamentally broken, which is imho utter crap. KDE breaks sometimes, so does ext3, so does gnome, so does open-office. does this mean they are fundamentally broken? of course not. they have bugs. duh. all software has.

anyway, I'll back off - I shouldn't spend my time fighting people over a silly filesystem :D

we'll see what time will bring us...
venkat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been running reiser4 on /usr, /var, /home, /tmp, /opt, except for / on which i have reiser3. i have been running it since it was deemed stable with very few problems. i had to repair/update it a couple of times, but no data loss. i'm running a fairly unstable system, i mostly run a love or cko kernel.

having said this, i don't imply that reiser4 is all stable and ready. it is a new filesystem. it has its own share of bugs. being a filesystem, it is one of the core components of the OS. it has to co-exist with other core components that are buggy too (no component is bug free, we all know that!). so there is a chance that a bug here and bug there can work together to wreak havoc. this might be a case with lvm and reiser4 issue posted above.

why people are getting mad about reiser4 is that when a filesystem breaks, it takes away all your data. it gets a bit personal there. in my opinion, i'd still like to treat reiser4 as experimental, until it really stabilizes and co-exists with other core components in peace. that'll take years, after a filesystem is built completely. anybody who understands filesystems' complexity will understand this too. regarding namesys's decision to deem this baking period "stable" or "semi-stable" is really up to them. whether to include this in stable kernel release is torvald's decision.

in a nutshell, i'd rather critcize on how this things is being hyped/marketted (false benchmarks, claims on performance, stability and all that in its current state) than criticizing the filesystem itself. it looks to me as a great filesystem by design. it has tremendous scope for expansion. it is atomic. it can support meta data and all that. what it needs is more and more tinkering to make it rock stable. that'll happen in course of time.

these are ofcourse my perceptions, ymmv ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: