[SOLVED] Making kernel - Problems with filesystems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiosT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Making kernel - Problems with filesystems Reply with quote

Okay, I figured this topic best fit here as I'm new to linux, and it's probably something simple...

I just got done emerging the system & gnome, rebooted the computer, had an error with the Filesystem..

went back into the LiveCD, chrooted, went to /usr/src/linux and edited the kernel removing /proc/devfs, and I tried to compile: Got an error involving 'aio.h' -- I googled this and saw it was related to PMCIA cards... i dont use any, so i disabled support for it in the kernel...

I tried to re-compile the kernel again... error with NFS file system.. Okay, I probably am not going to use it anyway... Removed it and tried again...
A problem with another file system.. (network-related)... okay.. I can do without...
And now it has a problem with UDF I think it was..

well i just turned around and retried 'make' to get the error.. and it got further this time...

but is there a possible cause to this problem? my USE flags are rather limited..... gtk / gtk2 / gnome / alsa / dvd / cdr / -kde / -qt.... and this is what they were set at when I compiled gcc...

Did i screw up somewhere to cause these faults? :-/

Any help is appriciated, thanks :-)

Edit:
SOLUTION -- Problem seemed to be the fact i was still using the LiveCD, and probably compiling things with the liveCD setup it didnt like --- What I mean is, I rebooted into my system (with the first kernel I built before emerging everything)... once I finished setting up I was able to compile with no problems...

Processor: Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Not a Mobile Proc.)
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 32MB
Sound: ESS1988

--It's Finally Alive!!!-- :-P

Last edited by DiosT on Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Nard`
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Making kernel - Problems with filesystems Reply with quote

DiosT wrote:
Okay, I figured this topic best fit here as I'm new to linux, and it's probably something simple...

I just got done emerging the system & gnome, rebooted the computer, had an error with the Filesystem..

went back into the LiveCD, chrooted, went to /usr/src/linux and edited the kernel removing /proc/devfs, and I tried to compile: Got an error involving 'aio.h' -- I googled this and saw it was related to PMCIA cards... i dont use any, so i disabled support for it in the kernel...

I tried to re-compile the kernel again... error with NFS file system.. Okay, I probably am not going to use it anyway... Removed it and tried again...
A problem with another file system.. (network-related)... okay.. I can do without...
And now it has a problem with UDF I think it was..

well i just turned around and retried 'make' to get the error.. and it got further this time...

but is there a possible cause to this problem? my USE flags are rather limited..... gtk / gtk2 / gnome / alsa / dvd / cdr / -kde / -qt.... and this is what they were set at when I compiled gcc...

Did i screw up somewhere to cause these faults? :-/

Any help is appriciated, thanks :-)

USE flags only affect portage (emerge is part of portage btw). kernel compilation is something entirely different, your use flags would only affect that if you screwed up your toolchain (the programs that build programs, including your kernel). I would suggest you do this:

Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config ~/.config
cd ..
emerge -C <kernel-sources>
ls # Confirm they're gone
emerge <kernel-sources>
cd linux
cp ~/.config .config

incase you somehow managed to ruin the kernel's source code ;) could you try posting the errors and your .config, thanks
DiosT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed i've been running my laptop pritty hard for the last 2 days, with ~15+ hours of emerges and compiling (I screwed up and went all the way back to stage 1--had bad USE flags (i think), when i compiled gcc... lots of things failed to emerge)

Gonna see if letting it cool down any will help... errors seem to be kinda random, and it did just freeze on me on the last compile... just now noticed that it's -really- friggin hot in the back fan, and on the case near the processor... amybe the p4's thermal protection? -- I never had cooling issues with any of my computers, so would be a first for me...

DiosT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Making kernel - Problems with filesystems Reply with quote

Nard` wrote:

USE flags only affect portage (emerge is part of portage btw). kernel compilation is something entirely different, your use flags would only affect that if you screwed up your toolchain (the programs that build programs, including your kernel). I would suggest you do this:

Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config ~/.config
cd ..
emerge <kernel-sources>
cd linux
cp ~/.config .config

incase you somehow managed to ruin the kernel's source code ;) could you try posting the errors and your .config, thanks

I take it i'd have to re-do the fbsplash stuff? Speaking of that.. could this have caused the problem:

(In relation to the FBsplash guide at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash#Manual_Compilation)
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
touch usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz
make bzImage
mount /boot
make install

I need to run to class, but I'll be back working on this within 2-3 hours I hope -- wasn't expecting super fast responses :-P

Nard`
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Making kernel - Problems with filesystems Reply with quote

DiosT wrote:
Nard` wrote:

Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config ~/.config
cd ..
emerge <kernel-sources>
cd linux
cp ~/.config .config

I take it i'd have to re-do the fbsplash stuff? Speaking of that.. could this have caused the problem:

(In relation to the FBsplash guide at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash#Manual_Compilation)
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
touch usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz
make bzImage
mount /boot
make install

I need to run to class, but I'll be back working on this within 2-3 hours I hope -- wasn't expecting super fast responses :-P

yes, you'd have to redo patching. note, IIRC gentoo-sources is already patched with fbsplash. vanilla isn't though. fbsplash could certainly cause those errors, but they should stay the same inbeetween... i'd try it without fbsplash. get your system booting, if everything works readd things in, gently
DiosT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i used gentoo-sources, didn't know fbsplash came with it...

I don't know how portage works, and if applying that patch when i already had it would cause any issues

DiosT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, still can't compile...

I rebooted into my own system / not using livecd.. most everything seems to be working fine...

I just cant recompile my kernel anymore... It always gives me a different error (at least when I fix one)..

right now it says:

Code:
scripts/Makefile.build:328: mm/.msync.o.cmd: Input/Output error
make[1]: stat:mm/.msync.o.cmd: Input/Output error

tried it twice more, same error (previously, with some errors, it seemed to skip over that file and hit a new error)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: