boot from sata optical disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaumess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: boot from sata optical disk Reply with quote

I recently replaced my dead lite-on dvd drive with a sleek new plextor px716-sa, dual layer +/- rw serial ata drive.

It works fine with the 2.6.11 kernel, but requires a modification to include/linux/libata.h in the kernel source, to activate ATAPI support in the SATA driver.

The 2005.0 boot cd, unfortunately, does not seem to work with this hardware. I can't remember the exact error, but it goes through and lists all the /dev/ nodes it tried, looking for the cdrom, but not finding it anywhere. I am using the doscsi kernel option, so presumably, the kernel on the livecd is not capable of booting from my drive.

What should I do now? Does anyone know for sure if, for instance, Knoppix or Gnoppix or Slax will boot with this hardware?

Or is there a way I can replace the kernel on the gentoo livecd, to customize it to support my hardware?

Are these drives on anyone's radar screens yet? Is this worthy of a bug report for the livecd?
gmorgan_va
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Same problem here with Plextor SATA DVD/CD+-RW Reply with quote

I think I have the 712 serial-ata drive which is not dual layer, but same problem with the 2005.0 CD. I successfully booted Knoppix 3.7 [En] on this same system and it found both the CD drive and my serial ata hard drive.

This machine (nForce4 Ultra with SIL3114 also - MSI Neo4 Platinum, AMD64 3500+, 1GB PC3200 ram) has nothing installed on it so I'm willing to try some things if anyone has some ideas (other than go out and buy a parallel ATA drive). I'd like to help troubleshoot/fix this problem.

I intend to update the bios on this board (from 1.1 to 1.2) soon and see if that helps. The fact that Knoppix has no problem makes me think it is a 2005.0 bug.
chaumess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting... knoppix doesn't seem to work for me.
sphantom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same drive (px-716sa), and this problem has frustrated me endlessly. I have yet to be able to get gentoo to use the drive. I've tried various combinations of gentoo-(dev)sources and vanilla sources, defined atapi support in libata.h, and even applied the latest libata patches from jgarzik's site. The best I have been able to do so far is get the kernel to identify and recognize the drive at startup, only to not be able to mount or do anything with the drive

I'm running udev, on an abit 925xe, if that matters.. For the record, I've limited most of my testing to using ahci, as I'd prefer keeping my mobo out of legacy ide mode since i have no ide legacy devices.

I havent tried knoppix yet, but just may soon.

If anyone has the same drive and is able to properly use it, please post your .config and kernel version..

thanks

-sp
chaumess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. I'm running 2.6.11-gentoo-r4 (gentoo-dev-sources). All I did was change

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/libata.h, from

Code:
#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI
to
Code:
#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI

In my dmesg it shows the 80GB Maxtor HD and Plextor drive I have on the ICH5 controller of my mobo (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe).
Quote:
ata_piix version 1.03
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xEFE0 ctl 0xEFAE bmdma 0xEF90 irq 18
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xEFA0 ctl 0xEFAA bmdma 0xEF98 irq 18
ata1: dev 0 cfg 49:0f00 82:0000 83:0000 84:0000 85:0000 86:0000 87:0000 88:101f
ata1: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/66
ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/66
scsi0 : ata_piix
ata2: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:7c6b 83:7b09 84:4003 85:7c69 86:3a01 87:4003 88:207f
ata2: dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133, 160086528 sectors:
ata2: dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
scsi1 : ata_piix
Vendor: PLEXTOR Model: DVDR PX-716A Rev: 1.04
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Vendor: ATA Model: Maxtor 6Y080M0 Rev: YAR5
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Everything works fine for me. I can read CD's and DVD's at /dev/scd0. I can burn using nautilus, k3b, and cdrecord. Not a single coaster yet. (have not yet tested dvd burning).

Here's my kernel config.

However, still haven't found a linux cd that will boot off of this drive (maybe I'll make one myself).
sphantom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is your IDE configured in the bios?

do you have an option to select IDE, RAID, or AHCI? If so, which are you using? I have an ICH6R, so im not sure what differences (if any) there are bios wise

-sp
gmorgan_va
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Apples and Oranges guys... Reply with quote

We are talking about very different configurations here. In my case (see above post) I have a serial ATA DVD/CD drive hanging off an nForce4 Ultra bridge chip. All the "working" cases are using Intel bridges (ICH6 or ICH5). I know, these should be similar but I think there is an issue with either libATA or the nv_sata module (or both) in the newer kernels. My Knoppix 3.7 CD has both a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel on it. I have only tried the 2.4 and it worked fine. I'll have to try the 2.6 kernel on that CD tonight and see if it has the same problems.

Incidently I tried turning off the parallel ATA channels and it did not change anything. Also the BIOS detects my first SATA drive as IDE Master 3 and I currently have my DVD/CD drive as IDE Master 6 (SATA 4). I have not seen anything about AHCI in the BIOS so I'll look for that also.
gmorgan_va
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: 2.4 vs. 2.6 kernel on live cds Reply with quote

Ok, I put my Knoppix 3.7 [En] cd back in my system and did some more tests. The default kernel on this CD is a 2.4.x kernel which finds all my SATA resources just fine (hard drive on SATA1 is /dev/hde and Plextor 712A on SATA4 is /dev/hdk -- looks like the IDE/ATA code reserves two device nodes to each IDE channel and considers each SATA port an IDE channel.)

Anyway, the 2.4 kernel works great. Then I tried the knoppix26 kernel and it does the same thing that the Gentoo 2005.0 Universal Install CD does. It can't find any of the SATA drives and yells at me when it can't find the CD.

Let me know what I can try to fix this or any data I can capture to help this get fixed.
IT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...hopefully this will be resolved soon. I have this problem...and while I debate installing a regular ide cdrom into my box to get past this issue...I'm hoping a new livecd with a fix will appear...anyone have any updates on SATA DVD/CDroms and live cd booting yet?
gmorgan_va
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: SATA and Linux Reply with quote

Well, I haven't posted in a while but have figured some things out.

1. libata makes sata drives show up as scsi disks in 2.6.x kernels
2. The hacked support in 2.4 for sata assigns two hdX devices to each sata port whether there is a device or not.

So, if you build a new knoppix disk with a kernel with libata support it should pick up your sata devices as scsi devices.f

How to enable libata in kernel 2.6.12-rc4 (in menuconfig):

SCSI Device Support -> SCSI Low Level Drivers -> Serial ATA (SATA) support

enable the SATA drivers you need. Also in SCSI you probably need to enable at least scsi disk support and scsi cdrom support.

Hope this helps. I had to install knoppix to the hard drive and then keep mucking with newer kernels until I could get this to work. fortunately the knoppix support programs (binutils, etc) are new enough to support all the newer kernels (so far).

I'm kinda interested in trying to boot the latest debian and suse releases on this system to see what hardware their default kernels pick up.
TheLegend81
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suffer from the same problem.

Trying to install the 2005.1 flavor of the AMD64 Universal Live CD.

Relivent System specs are:
MB: ASUS A8N-SLI DEluxe
CD/DVD: Plextor PX-716SA
CPU : AMD64 3500+ (socket 939)

The error I get is "No mountable media found" or something.

Last edited by TheLegend81 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
gmorgan_va
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: libata an ATAPI Reply with quote

Well I finally broke down and purchased a parallel ATA optical drive. libata is supposed to be far enough along to support SATA ATAPI devices soon. If I knew more about the linux kernel I would contribute to the development process of libata, but not there yet. Hopefully ATAPI SATA support will be here soon for those people who have cutting edge hardware.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same "No mountable media found" error, but my DVD-RW drive is parallel. Is it required to have it in the first slot?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: