so what window manager do you use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablolo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: so what window manager do you use? Reply with quote

I can't decide on what window manager to use so I was hoping you guys could give me some tips.

I'm looking at enlightenment right now... looks good but I'm a bit reluctant because it's old and I think is not updated much so I might get out of date...

My other choice is fvwm.. looks great also!

Anyone who used both WM's who could give me some basic comparisons? Any problems you encountered...

Thanks a lot. any input would be highly appreciated
JRV
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: so what window manager do you use? Reply with quote

pablolo wrote:
Anyone who used both WM's who could give me some basic comparisons? Any problems you encountered...

I've been using only Enlightenment for many years. Reasons I like it:

- You can make it look any way you want
- Extremely configurable (look&feel as well as keyboard shortcuts (look into keybindings.cfg))
- You can arrange virtual desktops in a 2D-matrix (I currently use 3x3)
- Switch between desktops either with mouse edge flipping or keyboard (everything totally configurable)
- The desktop pager shows real graphical mini versions of the desktops (including background image), not just blank windows and solid background
- It's very light and stable, no clutter on the desktop
- You have transparency or other neat effects when moving windows around :)
- If you want to, you can have windows slide in/out from the right directions when moving your mouse between desktops, so you really get a "feel" of where stuff is

_However_, the first time you start Enlightenment, it looks ugly, ugly, ugly and I don't like the configuration at all :)
I disable all "Multiple Desktops" together with their dragbar, instead keeping the 9 virtual ones. I then make the icon box transparent and invisible, make the pager really small and turn off its borders. Set a nice BG image, customize focus/window movement/other settings and Enlightenment is getting fun :)

This is what it looks like here:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~volz/e_screenshot.png

Have fun! :)

Julius
Nard`
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: so what window manager do you use? Reply with quote

pablolo wrote:
I can't decide on what window manager to use so I was hoping you guys could give me some tips.

I'm looking at enlightenment right now... looks good but I'm a bit reluctant because it's old and I think is not updated much so I might get out of date...

My other choice is fvwm.. looks great also!

Thanks a lot. any input would be highly appreciated

enlightenment is still in active development and E17 is coming along nicely. FVWM is also good. I personally use wmi (soon to be wmii), it is quite minimalistic though. I like the way it handles things though, especially how it's vim like.

The only way you can find the best window manager is to try them though. Some people like enlightenment, others like KDE (weirdos :P)
nightm4re
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, all that's going to come out of this thread are whatever WMs the people who see the thread use. What WM you use shouldn't be based on a popular opinion, it should be whatever works best/looks best/whatever to you. Just install it, learn about it, install something else, learn about that. My opinion != your opinion.

All that being said, try openbox :D haha, jk.
jods
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough time for customizations, you should go for fvwm. It gives you the freedom to do what you want it to do :)
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same opinion like JRV. I would say Enlightenment is just the right mix between configurability, comfort and lightweightness (strange word, dunno if I wrote it right ;)) Nevertheless, it look's awesome. With comfort I mean things like window-remembering. If you want a window to get borderless, you simply right click on the title and make it borderless. And you can also remember the state of your windows. That's just great!
patm1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rotate, my current rotation seems to be now e17 - fluxbox - fvwm - e17 -xfce as I have gone through that exact loop several times

I like e17 for all the animations and stuff, plus it's fun helping a de at such an early stage
Fluxbox is awesome with xcomposite, even better than e16.8
Fvwm I set up just the way I want a wm to be, almost, no graphical effects and my lazyness usually make me leave it
Xfce, which I'm using right now, It looks nice, it get's it's colors from the gtk theme, so the border is blended with my window, I have xcomposite so it still has all the cool effects.

I'll prolly switch back to e17 within a week, it changes so often.
pablolo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input fellows... I just wanted to know what people like about the different WM's...

another question thoug, I'm trying enlightenment 16... what file manager do you guys prefer? I think it's possible to call kde & gnome apps in enlightenment (is this correct?) but I don't have kde or gnome installed...
jods
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rox-filer as the file manager

jodhbir
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox is awesome... but very light if you want the features of KDE or Gnome.........

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE. honestly i don't need the lightweight WMs, as i have enough memory and a fast enough processor.

KDE has a lot of config tools as well. even if they aren't arranged in an always logical way, they at least exist. Many non-KDE apps are configurable by KDE. like samba and XKB.

I have a minimalist-like KDE environment. its set up much like fluxbox or XFCE. It works out perfect for me.

especially now that i have my truely impressive vivid backgrounds... i'm proud of them, but can't upload them anywhere... oh well.
Freanan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratpoison (On my knoppix hdd install - none at all on gentoo yet).
I like the way i can do everything with few keyboard strokes, it's leightweightness and the small dependencies. I hate that it hangs when i switch between frames on rare occasions though. When i need gimp (once a year) i start fluxbox.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-132201.html, or any of a hundred other threads scattered around...

Moved from Desktop Environments.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: