Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[resolved] Kernel - Networkless Install Advice !!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fizzer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: [resolved] Kernel - Networkless Install Advice !! Reply with quote

Hello all :D

New to Forum and New Linux period so bear with me (I hear groans!!)...

I am starting to study for Linux exams (Linux+ then LPI) and decided to make things a bit more interesting than just reading and doing book examples. I've decided to build a Gentoo based system with mythTV..

Now most of the past 2 day's I've been building or trying to build it at work. I can't have ANY kind of internet connection for downloading AT ALL..

I am using install-x86-universal-2005.0.iso and have so far goto CHROOTING to the base system. I am using (I assume!!) the default Compile and USE settings in /etc/make.conf.... I have not changed anything there!!

At the point where I emerge the Kernel.. Can I do this with no Internet at all??

emerge gentoo-sources - Hits me with no internet connection trying to download from various sites..

Can I use the Kernel in /distfiles on the Instalation CD (linux-2.6.11.2.tar.bz2)??? If so how.. can I tar this to a directory in say usrs and point the symlink to this or even just extract to /usr/src/linux ?? I am at home at the mo' and I will be trying these when I get back to work tonight (nightshift in a NOC, Yes!! I am a NOCMonkey but at least I am trying to learn something about the systems I am monitoring)..

ALSO I can't seem to mount the cd-rom (a bit of a problem if I'm installing fully from CD) after chrooting mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom
no devices found.. Am I missing something very basic here ??

I know this is basic stuff and I have been reading through numerous sources and posts BUT all seem to point to configuring/installing the Kernel sources with a network connection. Can I do it without one??? <<-- Just answer that one and I will be happy and carry on trawling the documentation.

Last edited by Fizzer on Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
masteroftheuniverse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the bz2 to your /usr/portage/distfiles and just emerge gentoo-sources. if the file is in that folder, it doesn't go try and download it. for other packages you have the option of using the packages disk with binaries already built, just export PKGDIR to whatever directory you put them in and emerge with the --usepkg flag.
hope that helps.
Nard`
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Gentoo - Advice !! Reply with quote

Fizzer wrote:
Hello all :D
Now most of the past 2 day's I've been building or trying to build it at work. I can't have ANY kind of internet connection for downloading AT ALL..

I am using install-x86-universal-2005.0.iso and have so far goto CHROOTING to the base system. I am using (I assume!!) the default Compile and USE settings in /etc/make.conf.... I have not changed anything there!!

At the point where I emerge the Kernel.. Can I do this with no Internet at all??

yes you can, you wouldn't happen to be trying to emerge a more recent version than is on the LiveCD?

Fizzer wrote:

emerge gentoo-sources - Hits me with no internet connection trying to download from various sites..

Can I use the Kernel in /distfiles on the Instalation CD (linux-2.6.11.2.tar.bz2)??? If so how.. can I tar this to a directory in say usrs and point the symlink to this or even just extract to /usr/src/linux ?? I am at home at the mo' and I will be trying these when I get back to work tonight (nightshift in a NOC, Yes!! I am a NOCMonkey but at least I am trying to learn something about the systems I am monitoring)..

That should work fine

Fizzer wrote:

ALSO I can't seem to mount the cd-rom (a bit of a problem if I'm installing fully from CD) after chrooting mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom
no devices found.. Am I missing something very basic here ??

your not meant to. the /dev directory in chroot is unlikely to contain the device file about the cd, just mount it out of chroot (alt+f<n> to switch to a different console). If you want it accessible in chroot you can either bind it (mount -o bind) or mount it to somewhere in /mnt/gentoo
Fizzer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!

Will try tonight...

Well posted made a coffee came back.. 2 answers.. It's better than calling a support desk.. :lol:

Thanks again
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer,

Welcome to Gentoo - Even the vets were noobs once.
Your distfiles path in /etc/make.conf should point to /mnt/cdrom/distfiles then portage will look in there for any source files it wants, not just the kerenl. You can just untar it to /usr/src but don't. That will lose you any patches and you will have to solve the problem properly to install other things.

You need to mount the CD before you chroot. It must be mounted on /mnt/gentoo/mnt/cdrom, so it appears on /mnt/cdrom inside the chroot. Or you can copy the content of /distfiles to /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles, which is the defualt location for the downloaded sources (looking from outside the chroot)

Use two VTs, one instade the other outside the chroot. Do this by setting the password when you boot the liveCD. (The passwd command). Ctrl-Alt-Fn n=2..5 will get you a new VT. Log in as user root using your newly set password. Ctrl-Alt-F1 takes you back to VT1, where you strated.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: