View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fearofcarpet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: nForce4 Audio / Gentoo amd64 / KDE 3.4 no ALSA Reply with quote

I'm not sue if this belongs in here or hardware, but ASLA is driving me crazy... I was running FC4 x84_64 / 2.6.11 / KDE 3.4 and my sound card worked great with the intel8x0 driver (so I know it can work). I did a stage 1 Gentoo 2005.0 x86_64 installation and have everything working (better than in Fedora ;) ) except for audio... Alsa-utils are installed, I ran alsaconfig, edited the /etc/modules.d/alsa file, edited make.conf, and the alsa service starts properly at boot. I have no audio before starting KDE (Alsa is running, lsmod output below) and after starting KDE here is what happens...

KMix sees my NVidia card (as do alsamix and amix) and all it's inputs/outpus (everything is unmuted)...
If I select OSS in KControl (alsa-oss is installed, but OSS was not built) and click "test sound" I hear sound. However, with OSS selected on KControl, no apps will make noise. XMMS complains that it cannot open the arts, oss, or alsa driver because it busy. MPlayer doesn't complain at all, and just pretends to start playing, except no sound comes out.

If I select "auto detect" or ALSA in KControl, it just continuously says "restarting sound system" until I hit cancel and I can't even get the test sound in KControl to work. If I leave it at those settings and restart KDE, it complains about not being able to find the sound card (no such file or directory) and tells me it will use /dev/null.

I'm running an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe / Athlon FX-55 (and an empty wallet) and GeForce 6800 Ultra (which is working great with the 64 bit nvidia drivers, of course)
The NVidia nForce drivers suck and generally don't work with the on-board RealTek card, but I gave them a shot too and got no love...

lsmod output (excuse the mess, I'm still learning Gentoo). I had originally build the sound system into the kernel, but I read that KDE doesn't like that (though I can't see a reson for that) and rebuilt the kernel with all the sound/ALSA stuff built as modules.
Code:

bender dl # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_ioctl32            28160  0
snd_seq_oss            36224  0
snd_seq_midi_event      9728  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                59200  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss            57248  0
snd_mixer_oss          20352  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_usb_audio          73600  1
snd_usb_lib            13824  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            28192  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_seq_device         10000  3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
parport_pc             43240  0
parport                42124  1 parport_pc
nvidia               4569276  12
snd_intel8x0           36224  2
snd_ac97_codec         83024  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm               100876  5 snd_ioctl32,snd_pcm_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              27400  3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    60008  17 snd_ioctl32,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              12192  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11272  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
ntfs                  189184  3
forcedeth              20992  0
usbhid                 39424  0
sata_sis                8320  0
sata_sx4               15108  0
sata_nv                10756  0
sata_via                9732  0
sata_svw                8836  0
sata_sil               10500  0
sata_promise           12548  0
libata                 49928  7 sata_sis,sata_sx4,sata_nv,sata_via,sata_svw,sata_sil,sata_promise
sbp2                   26248  0
ohci1394               34820  0
ieee1394              117592  2 sbp2,ohci1394
usb_storage            71872  0
ohci_hcd               22664  0
uhci_hcd               33056  0
ehci_hcd               35080  0

I'm very new to Gentoo, but I've been all over google trying to sort this out with no luck. I sort of assume I just have to emerge something or select a kernel option to get ASLA working correctly with arts/kde, but I have no idea what that would be. Although I must admit I'm used to having my sound card configured automatically so I've really never had to learn how everything comes together to make music in Linux :)

Thanks (and thanks for what I can already see is my new favorite distro!)
fearofcarpet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After recompiling the kernel with no ALSA support, doing emerge alsa-driver, etc etc (from the Gentoo ALSA howto http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml), I have ALSA working with the updated drivers... Now I can select ALSA in kcontrol and the test sound will work, but still no audio from any other apps... Including the play button next to the sounds in the kcontrol system notification area.
omnicloud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have alsa and oss in your USE? Also, this should be in multimedia.
fearofcarpet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimedia does seem like a better place for it... Well, anyway, I have it 90% working now. I emerged about everything audio or alsa related I could think of and it just started working :) Just some issues with dmix/alsa/arts to work out now.
parkus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the exact same problem, how did you get it to even work? my aslamixer keeps giving me an error, and xmms still wont play music, even tho i did a error free install with the emerge alsa-drivers
evga 6600gt pci express
Zee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di you check whether the proper device nodes get created?

I've had exactly the same problem. I've solved it by issuing: udevstart and setting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes".

hope this helps,
zee
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: