windows tools for dm-crypt?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaumess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: windows tools for dm-crypt? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of anything that is capable of reading dm-crypt loopback files under windows? I use dm-crypt for many important documents (web server CA's, personal records, etc.), and it is really great. Except when there's something I need off of my memory stick, and only a Windows box to be seen. Yes, of course there are ways to boot from my memory stick, or even launch an emulator on the Windows box, but what a pain?

Any thoughts?
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way is to use crosscrypt :

http://www.scherrer.cc/crypt/

I use it to share an aes256, sha512 encrypted loopback device under windows & linux. Install crosscrypt, create a loopback device with the correct parameters and all should work well. Furthermore I have written a few scripts to mount the device under linux & windows. I have put a very long key onto an usbstick and now whenever I want to acces my private data I plug in the stick and call my script to mount the encrypted data. If interest is there I can post the scripts.

Edit: Whenever I will have time and interest I think I am going to write a little applet that stores a gpg key in the computer's CMOS Ram which is then used to decrypt the encrypted key on the usbstick which is then used to mount the encrypted disk. Advantage : 1. No need to ever enter a password 2. Even if someone gets control over your stick and your partition ( e.g. both mounted and leaked while connected to web ) - without the computer stored key it will still be useless. 3. Only a short password required to decrypt the really large key which is needed to make the aes fs secure.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, but doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of putting the data on the USB stick if you need the specific machine to decrypt it?
And if the key is accessible to the OS, presumably it can potentially be retrieved by the l33t h4cksaw who's trying to get at your data? Obviously they're not so likely to look there I guess...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: