Does qemu's kqemu module work on amd64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reub2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Does qemu's kqemu module work on amd64? Reply with quote

I'm considering installing gentoo amd64 onto my computer with an athlon 64 3000+. I'm currently using the i686 gentoo.

I know you can install i686 software into a chroot envirment. But I thought it might be a little bit diffrent for a kernel module like qemu's kqemu. If kqemu doesn't work, are a there any good free as in cost virutalizers for amd64?
ziegs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i have no experience with qemu or kqemu, but according the the qemu status page (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/status.html), x86_64 as a host is under testing, which is better than not working at all.

give it a try, couldn't hurt. if it doesn't work compile a second kernel for x86 and boot to that when oyu need qemu.
reub2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziegs wrote:
personally i have no experience with qemu or kqemu, but according the the qemu status page (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/status.html), x86_64 as a host is under testing, which is better than not working at all.

give it a try, couldn't hurt. if it doesn't work compile a second kernel for x86 and boot to that when oyu need qemu.

I'm using qemu in an attempt to avoid rebooting just to use a program like m$ word. So I'm probably going to have to use the plain jitc kqemu.
Levi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can't load a 32bit module into a 64bit kernel, you can still use qemu without kqemu though.

Here's what the kqemu-docu says: "QEMU Accelerator (KQEMU) is a driver allowing the QEMU PC emulator to run much faster when emulating a PC on an x86 host.

KQEMU is currently only supported for an x86 Linux 2.4 or 2.6 host system, but more host OSes (Windows, *BSD) and processors (x86_64) will be supported in the future. "
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Windows 2000 running under qemu on my AMD64 3200+ without kqemu. While it doesn't work quite right (some programs fail to install) it does run plenty fast enough to be used.

On the qemu development mailing list recently there has been a fully open source kqemu equivalent module announced. Perhaps this will work with AMD64 at some point...

Andrew
reub2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it. Doesn't work. I'm using the CVS version. Does nothing. Doesn't even print out error to the konsole. Tried diffrent livecd cd images.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: