Help with AMD64 install and Raid 0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Help with AMD64 install and Raid 0 Reply with quote

I have run into a couple problems that I hopes I would have already solved by the time I got this computer built. I have been search and reading a bunch to prep for this install.

#1: My Lan card (ip3000a) is not reconized by the 2005.1 livecd's kernel. I have found the sources to the driver and compiled them on my other Gentoo box (kermel 2.6.9-r13), but when I tried to put them into the /lib/modules/XXXX/kernel/driver/net area in the new box, I am told the filesystem is ready only. Of course this make plenty sence since I am on the live CD. My question is, how do I get the CD to take my driver so I can start this install?

#2: Since I am at the point to setup the harddrives, I wanted to get the raid 0 working. I am a bit flexable on the setup but I would prefer to do the hybird raid 0 on my two SATA drives. I brought them as twin 80gigs. I do have a RAID 0 setup in my bios and was following the How-to from "Garlicbread"

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-244941-highlight-sata+raid.html

The problems I ran into are, no dmraid, can't run dmsetup (I do have it, just keep saying that a library is missing and asking if I have it properly installed). This looks to me like I have to emerge the toolkits and get data on the drives that I am trying to raid. What I would like to ask is, what is the correct order from the Gentoo Handbook and the setup of the Raid 0 drive?

I really do not want to go and buy a lan card, just to install this Linux, and I would prefer the hybird raid, even though this is a Linux only system. (I want the speed :) ). Also, I will also be trying the stage 1/3 but I know when to start that, which is why I do not want to use the universal CD. I am using the minimal.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakeraid ('hybrid raid' as you call it) is almost always slower than linux's pure software raid (md). And far more unreliable.
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about posting this in the Install forum. This problems were not really related to the AMD64 setup, but to any installation with a NIC that is not in a kernel, and setting the raid 0.

Anyone have any ideas?
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbrtuk wrote:
Fakeraid ('hybrid raid' as you call it) is almost always slower than linux's pure software raid (md). And far more unreliable.

???? ok, I have been reading totally different. "Garlic" even had data to prove it. However, I have a feeling I will end up with software raid anyway. I am just trying everything I can. Please skip the Raid 0 problem. I will ask garlicbread about the problem, or just do a software raid.

Please help with the NIC.. I really would like to get this driver to work.
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump. :)

Is there a way for me to copy my NIC driver to the kernel driver on the lived, or modprobe the NIC driver from my usb stick?
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice at the top that I said my card was a "ip3000a". it is actually a "ip1000a". Are there any kernel drivers that will work with this? I am trying to find out before lunch, so I do not have to get another lan card for this install.
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makton3g wrote:
???? ok, I have been reading totally different. "Garlic" even had data to prove it. However, I have a feeling I will end up with software raid anyway. I am just trying everything I can. Please skip the Raid 0 problem. I will ask garlicbread about the problem, or just do a software raid.

Please help with the NIC.. I really would like to get this driver to work.

All I know is that md even beats many full hardware raid cards. http://spamaps.org/raidtests.php

And it means you don't have to trust the integrity of your data on a specific model of hardware and software.

Some more information: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#fakeraid
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. It was vary intresting. I am still going to try, just for the hell of it (waste maybe 30minutes before going to software raid). I don't need any help with the network problem anymore, I just brought a little realtek NIC for the install, and will setup the gigabit NIC after the OS is up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: