Verbose Initscripts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lousyd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Verbose Initscripts Reply with quote

There must be some way (and I'd think it'd be documented somewhere) to view verbose initscript output. I had a problem today with getting networking working on a new install of Gentoo. I would type "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" and it would say it was starting, but then spit out those two red exclamation marks. Yeah, so, it doesn't work. Why not? It'd be helpful to know why not. It turns out I hadn't loaded the module for the network card. So, a helpful error message would have been "no network card found", or some such. But, of course, Gentoo init doesn't always give error messages, and certainly didn't on this one.

How would I track down a problem like that? How can I ask an initscript to tell me why it won't work? "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start --verbose" would be nice.
DarrenM
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the messages are written to text files in /var/log Mostly to /var/log/syslog

"tail -n 20 /var/log/syslog" Will show you the last 20 lines in the file.
lousyd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked, and I don't have a syslog. It was in "/var/log/messages" though. "Device not recognized" or some such. Thanks for the pointer, DarrenM.

You'd have to know what you were looking for, though. It'd be nice if there were a "--verbose" option, with admin-readable output. I don't know... Maybe it's better this way?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: