Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
passwd problems? mounting raid md0 from cd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: passwd problems? mounting raid md0 from cd? Reply with quote

Hi, I am in the middle of an install and have two quick questions.

I opened up another terminal by doing Alt F2. But it wouldn't let me login in as root (even after I ran passwd as root).

I need this extra window to do other stuff while I wait for things to download. What's the deal with that?

When decoded to reboot (mistakenly) after configuring my raid at raidtab, I realized that it could not mount /dev/md0, etc. Perhaps I was doing something wrong. Please be aware that I am using the 1.42experimental live cd which supposedly supports raid.

In the unlikely event that I have to reboot before I finish setting things up, what do I do to bring my /dev/md0 up?

rj
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: password problem solved! Reply with quote

Well, that was easy enough.

I needed to escape chroot and then run passwd.

So I ran exit from chroot and then ran passwd again. No problem this time.
fuscanese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Getting Software Raid up & running from the 20030114+ Li Reply with quote

I spent about a week trying to get software raid and gentoo to work together and I now have a pretty good mariage!

Here was my system, just for referance, 4 SCSI-2 IBM HDDs (10G), Adaptec 3940AUW, 2 UDMA100 IBM HDDs (20G), and HighPointTech 370 on-board Contoller.

Once you have the liveCD booted run:
modprobe raid1
modprobe raid0
modprobe raid5
(add levels/types as nessary)

create a raidtab file, now here is a tip that will be invaluable in the future!
DO NOT use /dev/sda, /dev/hda, refferance in the file. espically if you have scsi devices!!!!
Use the full devfs definition for the raidtab, /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target2/lun0/part3 ....
The reason is sda/sdb/... can change as Drives are added/removed from the system. Also if your IDE configeration changes so do hda/hdb...
The second reason for this tip is when a drive dies, you dont have to change a Thing in your raidtab! a very nice thing as it allows your system to get back up with minimal re-configuring.

Secondly use the /dev/md/0, /dev/md/2 meta disc device names, this can circumvent some mkraid issues that other forums have posted about.

once you have the raidtab defined, run:
mkraid /dev/md/0 ( if nessacry check the -f force option )
cat /proc/mdstat

your meta disc should be up an running!

lastly copy /etc/raidtab to the new root before you chroot. This way your system is ready on reboot OR if you have to go back to the liveCD no need to remake it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: