Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
~x86 -> problems, went back to x86, still have problems..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverpig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: ~x86 -> problems, went back to x86, still have problems.. Reply with quote

So I was trying to get WPA and my wireless going and followed the networking guide here. It said to install the ~x86 version of baselayout and a few other packages, which I did. I then had some major problems. Some programs like gedit took forever (>1 minute) to load. My iraf install wouldn't work at all as it couldn't find the binaries. So I said forget it, removed those ~x86 packages from packages.keywords and then re-emerged them. After a reboot, my system couldn't find any of its modules, so I recompiled the kernel and modules and that fixed that (didn't upgrade gcc at all so I don't know why that happened). Iraf started working again fine, but I still had the long loading times on some apps. I upgraded my kernel from 2.6.10 gentoo-dev to 2.6.11 and still had the same problems.

Everything worked great before, but now, even though the system should be back to the same state, things aren't the same. Gedit has really really long load times, and when I display an imaged in iraf to ds9 the first time, it takes about 2 minutes to load, but after that they all load up within a fraction of a second.

Pentium-m laptop, -march-pentium-m -02 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe

I have prelinked my system, so maybe that's the problem? If so will just re-prelinking fix it? It's odd because firefox loads up fast, so does thunderbird, the gimp... but little command line programs take forever, gnome-system-monitor takes forever, same with gedit. I'm using xfce4 as my UI.

Thanks.
beavsux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ~x86 -> problems, went back to x86, still have proble Reply with quote

Try removing prelinking, and recompile. That might help.
silverpig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I removed the prelinking and tried recompiling gedit but got compilation errors. It said some of the libs couldn't be found... I'm gonna try to re-emerge gcc and glibc and then see if that helps.

This sucks. Everything was working so well.
silverpig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit. It still is happening. Re-emerged gcc and glibc (3.4.3-20050110) and recompiled gedit. Still slow as molasses.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: