Is this a waste of time?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlocone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Is this a waste of time? Reply with quote

Hello All!

So far it has been...:( I've been trying to to build Gentoo on an old amd k6/200 w/ 256mb of ram & a 2G hdd. Anyone suggestions? "Yeah, the machine is too old, runs like a dog!" I've been getting segmentation errors on it, when trying to emerge. Read, it might be ram errors so I'm gonna check it out w/ the mem test 86 thing.

Is it worth wasting more time on this system, or I should just go out & get a new system to put Gentoo on it?

thx.
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get out, get a new system and crosscompile gentoo on the new one for the old one.
I've heard lot of people have problems with k6* pc's but here a K6-II 400 is running fine, so keep trying.
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the cash, may as well get a newer and much faster system. :) Then, use that old machine to play around...

taurus
voytas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a laptop wich is Pentium 233 MMX with 64MB RAM and 3GB HD

i plugged my laptop disk into my workstaion (Cel 1G, 640MB RAM), then compiled my system on it
(remember to install all software you will ever need)

then i installed disk back into laptop and got my gentoo working!

i suggest removing of /usr/portage since it gets over 500MB and is unneeded since you probably wont emerge anything using this old K6...

whenever i want to upgrade, i move my HD to the workstation...

good luck!
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a waste of time? Reply with quote

rlocone wrote:
Hello All!

So far it has been...:( I've been trying to to build Gentoo on an old amd k6/200 w/ 256mb of ram & a 2G hdd. Anyone suggestions? "Yeah, the machine is too old, runs like a dog!" I've been getting segmentation errors on it, when trying to emerge. Read, it might be ram errors so I'm gonna check it out w/ the mem test 86 thing.

Is it worth wasting more time on this system, or I should just go out & get a new system to put Gentoo on it?

thx.

For such a machine don't even try to start with stage1 or so:P Building packages on an other computer is a good idea (especially using ccache or just copying over the files).
If you experienced some problems with the hardware I would be reasonable not to waste time installing it again and again and wasting time fixing bugs, errors or whatever.

On the other hand old comps are just great (I like my old PII 233 100 times more than my current machine...:P), however not fast enough nowadays;/
sanchan
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a waste of time? Reply with quote

rlocone wrote:
Hello All!

thx.

I'm running gentoo-2005.0 from stage 1 on a pentium-mmx@200MHz with 64Mb of ram.
xorg-x11 + wmaker + xine (yes, I can see videocd very well and dvds... slowly...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: