Time is wacked!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie_gentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Time is wacked! Reply with quote

Hello.

In my country the time has changed recently, adding an hour. I add an hour on my Gentoo box, via the Preferences of the clock on Gnome Panel. To my surprise, on the next reboot, the clock was 2h ahead, so I figured I had the automatic daylight saving enabled, and I changed the clock back. But that didn't work! Now, on every reboot, a weird hour appears, involving adding or subtracting of hours and even changing minutes!

I checked my BIOS time, and it's ok. I disabled UTC from the gnome clock, as well as evey automatic time handling options I could find.

Can anyone help?
Plexroth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Time is wacked! Reply with quote

newbie_gentoo wrote:
Hello.

In my country the time has changed recently, adding an hour. I add an hour on my Gentoo box, via the Preferences of the clock on Gnome Panel. To my surprise, on the next reboot, the clock was 2h ahead, so I figured I had the automatic daylight saving enabled, and I changed the clock back. But that didn't work! Now, on every reboot, a weird hour appears, involving adding or subtracting of hours and even changing minutes!

I checked my BIOS time, and it's ok. I disabled UTC from the gnome clock, as well as evey automatic time handling options I could find.

Can anyone help?

My time is whacked out too! I posted a very similar problem and got some good feedback. Please check out this link: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-319441.html

Part of my problem was that the KDE panel erased the link to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST

So what I did was set the time in BIOS to EST ( my standard time zone, before daylight savings). Then I re-established the link to localtime. I left the computer running with the KDE desktop up. I also do NOT have ANY time programs running like NTPD or rdate. I want to see if the system keeps accurate time.

The problem comes when i reboot. When I power back up, the BIOS reverts to the time i LAST SET and NOT the time when i shut down. Bloody weirdness.
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion is the best way to adjust time with BIOS but then this years daylight saving period begin I forgot that and was stupid enough to use the date command. I don't now howe to get rid of it and go back as it was before.
But if you use the date command and the clock goes wrong it helps to adjust it a couple of times/days. The clock is self-adjusting and found out how much it differs from setting to setting so for me it took tre days/adjustments to make it goes quite well. It has only differ 8 seconds on two days and then it differ to much I set it right again and minimise the differ further. This is a really great thing if your BIOS time drifts away.
But if you are reeeaaal serious about time you can use automatic clockadjustment via clock-servers on the net, but I don't now how and don't care.
newbie_gentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one needs to let the computer run a few hours after a changed time (via the date command), in order to make the change permanent?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: