View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parasonic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Changing file associations in Gnome-2.8.1 Reply with quote

Okay, I searched and asked several friends, and this is a way noobish question, but I have looked everywhere...

HOW do I change the file extensions associationsin Gnome? I.e.: I selected using mozilla firefox once (and without selecting "always use" !!!) and image viewer no long is the default.

Also, do you guys have a preference on image viewers? I have been trying to find one with the functionality of the WinXP one where you can click 'next' and go through all of the files in a directory, something light at that.

Thanks...
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on the file and go to Properties -> Open With.

I believe this behavior was first implemented in 2.8. Before that it was a PITA.
parasonic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I can do that, but I still can't change what it defaults with. I don't get an "always use this" checkbox. Is there a .file that I can edit?
vandorp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parasonic wrote:
I know that I can do that, but I still can't change what it defaults with. I don't get an "always use this" checkbox. Is there a .file that I can edit?

Same problem here. I even read the Gnome help. The Gnome help says explicitly that I can set it in the open with dialog, but that is simply not true. I wouldn't care to edit a file by hand, but I can't find it. (I even grep'd the gnome configs in my home-directory for clues but I didn't find anything).

I made a screenshot to prove it (I mean, to show the problem and to prove that I read the manual :D )

http://tauserver.wtb.tue.nl/basd/files/gnome_open_with_dialog.png

I want to open mp3 files with beep-media-player, I want to open pdf files with Acrobat Reader 7, and some other stuff. Can't get it to work. When I do what the "open with dialog" says, typing a command, Nautilus opens it this time with that command but it will open other files with the same extension with the same application (here that's xmms and xpdf).

I have gnome-base/gnome-2.8.2 and gnome-base/nautilus-2.8.2-r1 emerged (currently the stable packages on Gentoo). The nautilus "about" dialog also says I'm dealing with 2.8.2 here.
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you right click on a file of the type you want to change the mime settings for and then select properties, then click on the open with tab you should be able to change the associated application perminently by selecting a different application/adding. You should see something like this:
http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/file-properties.png

Cheers,
James
NocturnalCoffeeMan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! of course I forgot all about that!
Registered Linux User #365191
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: