Are there any Win4Lin Howto's?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freejack00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Are there any Win4Lin Howto's? Reply with quote

I have found way to many different ways to do Win4Lin and in the forums the ways of doing it are not documented just what people have tried. Netraverse needs to update it's documents. The install has changed and doesn't even go with the release now. What is the best way to get it to install? I can't get it to read a bootable cd and install the OS for the setup. Yes I have a bunch of questions for this. Even a small guide would help. Any pointers or places anyone know of that can help? Thanks guys in advance for any help rendered.
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is the problem you are having?

If you give specifics perhaps I (or someone else) can help you.

I agree the outdated progs in portage is very annoying but it does work (Don't go near the win4lin-sources kernel though - there are other patchsets available)

Which bits do not work for you?
whit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink wrote:
(Don't go near the win4lin-sources kernel though - there are other patchsets available)

Would the problems in the win4lin-sources kernel be the reason I'm now getting a segfault when trying to start win, on a system where formerly it was working fine? What problems have been noted in them? Since about the time I went to linux-2.6.9-win4lin-r6 win4lin does not run (but I don't run it that often, so I'm not sure if that's exactly when).

I'm also wondering if the change to X could be involved. For instance, after su'ing to the user I start win4lin as, the DISPLAY environment variable is no longer set - didn't used to be the case. If I "export DISPLAY=:0.0" it gets by the error of not having it set, but then the segfault.

Is the next step to take standard kernel sources and apply the patches myself? Or is the fatal problem probably elsewhere?

(I should point out I'm running win4lin 5 as installed by Netraverse's installer, not the Gentoo ebuild.)
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to say why you are getting a segfault in your win4lin installation. I have setup win4lin exactly (and I mean exactly the same way) on two machines and it doesn't run on one. I never found out why.

Anyway, I suggest not going near the win4lin-sources as they are not maintained by anyone and the win4lin available in portage is very out of date. There have been more recent releases which fix many problems and allow for more kernel options to be installed. I get plently of emails from Gentoo users who have used win4lin-sources and as soon as they stop they get no problems at all. I must admit I am quite dissapointed in the maintenace of the progs.

If you want to do it yourself you can do, or you can go to the site in my sig and try those ones (they are simply the vanilla kernel with the win4lin patch applied). Most people have success with those ones. There are also plenty of patchsets floating around (nitro for example) that has win4lin in the patch.

I am also not sure what you mean by
Quote:
after su'ing to the user I start win4lin as, the DISPLAY environment variable is no longer set
Why are you su'ing? Why not simply use the user that are logged in as? I can't think why you would need to su to another user to use win4lin (i'd be interested though, are you using the command line and then starting X as a different user?)

Try using a different kernel and install windows in the user you are logged in as. Let us know exactly when you get a segfault if you still do. Although it is notoriously difficult to debug a win4lin install sometimes
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: