PPC, can't compile at stage3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonhuman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: PPC, can't compile at stage3 Reply with quote

I'm just trying to get a quick and dirty (read: stage3) gentoo install onto an old BlueBerry iMac. For some reason, after I emerge --sync and emerge gentoo-sources, I can't then make menuconfig. It gives me a segfault and an error about compiling. So I tried running genkernel. That complains about there being no /boot and then fails to do much of anything except waste my time. So I tried to emerge -uaDv genkernel. The first package it tries to install is gpm, but it can't compile anything so it fails. This is far from my first Gentoo or even Gentoo PPC install, so I'm pretty confident that my make.conf and all is properly set up. The only thing I can think of is that there's something in the stage3 tarball that's not properly configured.

Is there something wrong with the 2005.0 PPC stage3 tarball? Or some setting I have to change to get it to compile somewhere that it doesn't mention in the installation guide?
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Pylon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC, can't compile at stage3 Reply with quote

nonhuman wrote:
Is there something wrong with the 2005.0 PPC stage3 tarball? Or some setting I have to change to get it to compile somewhere that it doesn't mention in the installation guide?

It worked properly for an installation I made myself.

Are you using ~ppc and did you synced before you installed your kernel?
nonhuman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC, can't compile at stage3 Reply with quote

Pylon wrote:
nonhuman wrote:

I'm not using ~ppc, and I did sync. But I never installed a kernel because I can't compile anything. I only got as far as downloading the sources.
chicconico
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: PPC, can't compile at stage3 Reply with quote

[quote="nonhuman"]So I tried running genkernel. That complains about there being no /boot and then fails to do much of anything except waste my time.

Try zcat the configuration file to kernel-config-2.6. It is a bug in the manual. That should work.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide the actual errors that you're getting?
chicconico
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
Can you provide the actual errors that you're getting?

The handbook instructs to "zcat kernel-2.6" . I looked up the man page for genkernel. It is described there that genkernel will look for kernel-config-[version]. This explains why genkernel cannot start, because it cannot find a configuration file.
chicconico
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: PPC, can't compile at stage3 Reply with quote

Pylon wrote:

Pylon, I have done several installations with the 2004.1.and 2004.2. But with the 2005.0 yaboot does not work. I am pretty shure that I made my yaboot.conf properly, I did run mkofboot and ybin, I always get a proper message thereafter, but upon reboot all I get is a blank screen. I have to unplug the computer to reboot.

I am using ext3 as filesystem for the root partition, and there are no fsutils for that. Therefore I did not emerge any.

If you are synchronising it means you are not using the stuff from the CD but from the internet. That is not a real help for networkless installation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: