View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
statmobile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Tips for xorg.conf on a laptop Reply with quote

Okay, I thought I would have it made by using the nvidia drivers on my laptop. While the performance is quite admirable, I was hoping NVIDIA would've taken all the guess work and annoying tweaking involved with a laptop from me. Well, silly me, a company still has a long way to go for truly supporting linux, but hey, at least they're trying... I"ll give them that. I'm just missing one thing M$ gave me on my laptop, it read the specs of my monitor (both laptop screen or ANY external monitor) automatically, and optimized the settings. Does NVIDIA help me with this? How about doing some special tweaking in xorg.conf? I would love for the machine to automatically read the display correctly, amd I just asking for full linux support here? BTW, I have the NVIDIA GEForce2 card on my Inspiron 2650.

Please help!
AliasXZ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i jus let X detect...

Code:

Xorg -configure

then put my own res in and colour setting in xorg.conf (see xorg conf howto on gentoo site) - nvidia works fine like that for me

i dont think u can get everything auto, u still have to tweak .conf files :wink:
Lappy:
Macbook Pro 10.14.6
------------------------------
Please add (solved) to your first post when your issue is resolved 8)
statmobile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I didn't even try that on this install, but that is because it has never worked for me in the past. Okay, how about being able to set it up so that it knows to have a certain resolution when working without an external monitor, and a different resolution when attached and started up with the external monitor?

It seems that the nvidia module had an option to auto detect the refresh rates, is this true? I think I may haven enabled this, but I'm not quite positive. I am a little afraid though, because we are talking about a laptop here. If I fry the internal monitor, well then the laptop is no longer a laptop.
AliasXZ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never tried that before, but screen one is screen 0 and screen 2 will be screen 1
i think that when u startx itll scan for monitors that are useable and use the appropriate one, if this was me id mess around with xorg.conf and set the resolutions and refresh rates in the screen 0 and screen1 sections...

sorry i aint much help on this but i spose i could try it and see if it works and let u know how it goes... or if anyone else has any ideas?
Lappy:
Macbook Pro 10.14.6
------------------------------
Please add (solved) to your first post when your issue is resolved 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: