automounting and KDE desktop icons
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniMoose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: automounting and KDE desktop icons Reply with quote

I've been using KDE for years and years, but I've always been annoyed with the fact that there seems to be no way to configure it to only show device icons on the desktop when the device is mounted. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to set up an automounter/udev combo so that when I put a CD in my CD-ROM, the disc gets automatically mounted, and a mounted disc icon appears on the KDE desktop. Same goes for my iPod.

With udev and an automounter, I think it is possible to automount CD/DVD's, flashdrives, and external harddrives when they are loaded/connected to your system. I've taken a brief look at the hotplug and udev script system on gentoo but can't make heads or tails of it just yet. I also know that the desktop icons in KDE can be created by adding *.desktop files with the right contents in the right folder. I guess all I need to do then is create a script that creates the correct desktop icon based on which media/device was just automounted. Then I would configure the automounter/udev/hotplug system to execute the script whenever one of the devices in question is mounted. Hrm...

Does that sound like a good strategy?
zsoltika
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: automounting and KDE desktop icons Reply with quote

MiniMoose wrote:
I've been using KDE for years and years, but I've always been annoyed with the fact that there seems to be no way to configure it to only show device icons on the desktop when the device is mounted.

It's not the solution, but as far as I remember, in Suse's KDE version it worked the way you explained it. But (as I'm sitting in front of my wife's winxp) we couldn't set it in kcontrol? I'll check it tomorrow (kde3.4).
keeney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hal/dbus/ivman is what you are looking for.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-185508-highlight-ivman.html
zsoltika
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: automounting and KDE desktop icons Reply with quote

zsoltika wrote:
MiniMoose wrote:
... seems to be no way to configure it to only show device icons on the desktop when the device is mounted.

But (as I'm sitting in front of my wife's winxp) we couldn't set it in kcontrol? I'll check it tomorrow (kde3.4).

Well I did check it, and it could be set in kcontrol under Desktop/Behavior/Device icons, there are lot of settings about showiing a mounted/unmounted device icon.

HTH,
Zsoltika
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: