file-permission denied for root?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErnstlAT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: file-permission denied for root? Reply with quote

I'm having a little problem with accessing a few files (listed below) as root on a reiserfs 3.6 partition. I compiled a kernel yesterday, rebooted, worked on a few other things on an other windows-partition in Windows and today I cant compile a kernel anymore. Not even fsck.reiserfs complains about anything on the partition. This is the output from commands trying to access those files (ls, rm, chmod, make *):
Code:

find: ./arch/i386/kernel/.vm86.o.flags: Permission denied

The above statement also applies to .i8259.o.flags, .ptrace.o.flags, .irq.o.flags, ptrace.o and a few other files (about 10 files total). Well ... I have no clue, why I dont have enough permissions as root... could somebody give me a hint what to do?

Ernstl.at
C&C Freak 2K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me, except on Slackware. It seemsafter a few times I had to hard reset because the nVidia driver locked up X, some of my files in /usr/src/linux/ were broken. You can probably fix this with the following (Note: Be sure to read everything before you start, and try asking an experienced user if this is a good idea for you or not).

First, you'll need to boot to some Linux media that has reiserfsck (any distro with fs tools and support for reiser should work).

Next, boot to a kernel that's outside of the hard drive with the offending files (in my case, /dev/hda1). Make sure you have root access (since you're saying you don't have permissions as root, I assume you are).
Execute reiserfsck on the hard drive with --fix-fixable, like this if the drive is hda1: reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/hda1. Note that this may or may not be the right syntax, I can't quite remember.
reiserfsck will then happily try its best to fix the partition without any rebuilds.
When it's done, it may or may not tell you there were corruptions that need to be fixed with --rebuild-tree. If it does, follow the warning reiserfsck gives you when you use this option and back up your important data to another disk.
Once you back up your data (the broken stuff will probably be gone now anyway, because they were gone before you ran reiserfsck), execute the same reiserfsck command as before, except with the --rebuild-tree option.
Now it will go through a 3 pass fixing and rebuilding process, which may take a while (took roughly 7-10 minutes on my K6-2 400MHz 128MB 32GB disk system, I assume your system is a little faster than this).
Once that is done, you should be able to boot into your system normally (unless any system files were removed because of the fixing process). If anything went wrong, this is why you backed up your important data.

EDIT: I stole the method above from here: http://www.mail-archive.com/vserver@solucorp.qc.ca/msg01050.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: