Another KDE + OGG problem post [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Another KDE + OGG problem post [Solved] Reply with quote

OK, I have read several posts on KDE not playing OGG files. I have tried everything mentioned to no avail.

First let me say that my sound WAS working fine until I unmerged gnome and xfce4 from my system. I am aware that I could have unmerged something that was needed, but I can find no hint as to that happening or what that might have been. An "emerge -puD world" shows I am up to date. I have also since re-emerged ALL my KDE ebuilds, and not one single error.

Now I can not play OGG files within KDE, and hence have no system notifications because of that. I can play wav, mpg, etc. I have tried re-emerging flac (even emerging the Masked version), have added USE=xmms. I have recompiled ALL my KDE 3.4 ebuilds, and yes I have USE=oggvorbis. I also have USE = arts and alsa.

I have logged out of and back into KDE to help ensure any changes I did would be picked up by KDE.

I read a post were someone just switched the KDE player to alsaplayer within KDE's control center. I would try that, but I am having ZERO luck getting alsaplayer to emerge. I get an error saying it could not find "sndfile.h", both the latest stable version and the ~86 version. I have searched the forums on this and did not find anything, although I could have missed in my search.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by jdgill0 on Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems I finally solved my problem. Removing gnome and xfce4 created a bit of a mess with various libs, etc being left on the system and hence being broken depends. One of the "broken" apps was kde-base/akode. After recompiling it, I can now play ogg files again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: