Several machines all running Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayqazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Several machines all running Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi,

If I have several machines all running Gentoo (e.g. in a compile farm) how can I operate on all of them easily? I'm talking about upgrading, installing new software, etc. such that all configuration options are the same, except the IP addresses which are (obviously) different.

More specifically, does gentoo support this sort of behaviour by default, or are there tools to facilitate this?

Also, Fedora apparently have this option where their OS is built for root on nfs - i.e. they have designed / redesigned it so that most of the root filesystem can be use off of an nfs mount. Obviously, this means that upgrading software only has to be done once and all machines sharing the main file server's filesystem get upgraded as well. Is this possible with Gentoo?

Thanks,
Asfand Yar
HoLzPLatTeN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it, of course ;)
Using a common nfs / directory on every machine of your network or only the /usr directory is perfectly possible. In this way, you only need to install each package in one of them to be able to use it on all of them.
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoLzPLatTeN wrote:
You can do it, of course ;)
Using a common nfs / directory on every machine of your network or only the /usr directory is perfectly possible. In this way, you only need to install each package in one of them to be able to use it on all of them.

The problem with this is how updates to /etc and friends would trickle down (or not as the case may be) to client machines.

Personally I'd have one master machine building binary packages (emerge -b) and get all of the client machines to get the binary packages from nfs via emerge -k.

But then again, the nfs /usr might be quicker and simpler if you're not fussed about etc-updates and confusing portage.

(Something that's useful when managing many machines is clusterssh.)
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Gentoo diskless guide yet?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml

- Adam

"You know the Nazi's had pieces of flare.. that they made the Jews wear."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: