Email Docs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Email Docs? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im through the install on a new machine, and all has gone very well, im just doing KDE now :)

I did not see anything about Email though, as i worked through the install docs - the only thing i've found is the Mutt quickstart and nothing about setting up postfix or whatever i might need to run thunderbird or kmail or whatever...

If im just being blind, can someone point me to the right docs? Or if im missing the point somehwhere please fill me in!

Thanks for the help...
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you're looking for is to recieve email, then you don't need postfix or anything like that, just emerge your client of choice. If you're looking to set up a mail server, this might be the guide you're looking for: Virtual Mailhosting System with Postfix Guide.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i need to send and receive, with any email client, not just mutt. Will using the mutt setup with fetchmail and nbsmtp do that job?

I don't want to make more work for myself than necessary. Though perhaps irrationally, i feel more 'complete' having a full blown MTA handle mail..

What do you think?

thanks, that was the doc i was looking for :)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not entirely sure what you want here. If you're using your ISPs pop and smtp servers, then all email clients will be able to send and receive your email. If you want to do this with as little work as possible, then I think setting up a MTA will definitely be overkill. :)
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDED: Ahh... i see procmail is included in the mutt guide, so i guess you can...

Right, well the postfix solution you linked to certainly looks too much as it requires a domain name for starters....

My main wish is to use procmail and spamassasin etc to filter mail - On my current gentoo install i use sendmail as the MTA, which im quite happy with, though it's a difficult thing to work with...

Can i use procmail etc with a simple setup?

thanks..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: