Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does Gentoo Linux need an install program?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Gentoo Linux benifit from an install program?
No
50%
 50%  [ 529 ]
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 302 ]
Definatly!
14%
 14%  [ 148 ]
Where do I send the money to get you to hurry up with it?
6%
 6%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 1048

drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Does Gentoo Linux need an install program? Reply with quote

Do you think gentoo linux would benifit very much from an install program?

I've started spending some of my free time working on a program to automate the install process. At the moment its more or less going to be some fancy bash scripting to guide the user through the install process (tell them what's going on) and to run the programs that need to be ran for them. I don't know if I'll ever get enough work done on it to make it workable and worthwild, but if there is enough demand for it I hope to get it done.
If I do get it working, then I hope to eventually use Ncurses to make a little prettier and more menu driven process... And who knows, maybe eventually a GUI using svgalib or something But all of that is way too far in the future...

I do have a couple things I'll have to ask people here, but not too much...

Is the Gentoo Linux USE flag editor (ufed) on the livecd? Any plans to put it on there? Completly ignoring my project, I think ufed would be a very good thing to add to the livecd.

Can you use dynamic arrays with bash scripting? Well... I guess if you can use any arrays in bash they are probably close enough to dynamic for my purposes... And I'm fairly certain you can do arrays.. Can someone give me a quick example? (Yes, I DO know enough bash scripting to do this.. I just never paid attention to arrays with bash and can't find my link to the bash guide I was using...)

Would it be acceptable to just start up cfdisk for the user to partition the drive, or should I try to make some sort of partitioning wizard? (If I made the wizard it would use fdisk for reading / writting the partition table)

Are there any steps/options that should be included in the process, or any that should be left out?

*edit* Due to some weirdness with the poll when I edited my post I had to delete it and start it over... Oh well... Nobody had found it yet anyways ;)

My GPG/PGP Public key
Loke^
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I had the same idea a year ago, when i was making my own distro, and i got it working with some small programs, like nano and irssi.
The (bash-script) downloaded the sources from a server i specified, and unpacked/compiled them.
But i gave up after a day or so, with both the distro (came out ok thou) and the script :)

As long as you make it very powerful its a good idea.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would gentoo benefit ? probably not

would new and current users benefit? without a doubt :)
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo benefit == Gentoo is better because it has an install program...

So I guess the question should have been... Would it make gentoo better if it had an install program... ;)

My GPG/PGP Public key
dwbullok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Gentoo Linux need an install program? Reply with quote

drakonite wrote:
Do you think gentoo linux would benifit very much from an install program?

Yes, it would be great to have one. I also think that diskdrake (from Mandrake Linux) would be a great addition to the install process. Perhaps I'll try my hand at making an ebuild for it.
-Dan
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the advantages of not having an install script is that the users get to know Portage from the beginning, and because of the well-written Installation Guide they know how they can administer it using emerge. If you give the users an installationprocess, they don't know (in the beginning) how to work with Portage/emerge, and since they already have a working system, they tend to try things on their own, f****ing up things and then asking questions. That makes it a little more difficult to debug their questions. Not that I am against users that try before ask, this is just an observation (been there, done that).
compu-tom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the learning effect is great w/o an install tool.

But having no such tool requires one to have a printed copy of the installation manual laying on the table (lack of internet access and available browsers at this stage of installation).

Most of the installation guide are decisions that have to be made by the installer. It also shows you the installation order of components. The resulting commands then aren't that difficult.

It therefor would be great to have at least an on-screen guide of this kind (for example):
Code:
* Hello, now it is time to decide which cron daemon should be installed
* There are: vcron, fcron, dcron
* A short description as decision helper follows:
*   vcron: foo bar with advantages 1, 2, and 3
*   fcron: bar foo with something special
*   dcron: foo but with bar as well
* Recommendation: dcron
* Type "emerge <cron>" where you replace <cron> with your selection.

Then after emerging the cron package, the next helping hand would be nice and so on. It's just not to get lost. This is like the help when making the kernel: Type make dep...

The learning benefit may be really high :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compu-tom wrote:
But having no such tool requires one to have a printed copy of the installation manual laying on the table (lack of internet access and available browsers at this stage of installation).
The install guide (at least in the past) lives at /install.txt on the install CDs.
Arthur Vandelay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!!!

The act of reading through the install step by step educates newbies and gives them thier first positive unix sysadmin experience. Cmon all you gurus out there, remember how you felt when you finally got X to run after struggling through the config process? Or your first kernel compile?

Automating all that is just going to create more lazy sysadmins and more traffic on these forums from users who are not willing to make an effort to learn.

We'd be just like all the other distros trying to be all things to all users.

Sure we could streamline the install a little, but anything more would be a huge mistake.

I can see the Gentoo guys are starting to buckle under the pressure they are getting from redhat and mandrake defectors whining "I want to install gentoo but it's just too hard!" Don't give in to them. The very fact we are getting alot of interest from binary distro users should tell you something about what we are doing right.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this poll seems to rather biased, 3 options for yes and only 1 for no? lol I want a "If you dare touch that install process i'll extend my right arm and bitch slap you upside the head!"
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with Auther.

I for one learned alot building all 3 of my gentoo systems from stage 1 tarballs. I think that is part of gentoo, thats what makes it gentoo. Anyway I dont think gentoo needs an autoinstall. More stuff == Bloatware (Deadrat, Mandrake). Besides you want to download 3 Gentoo Cd's with Autoinstallers and Pre-compiled binaries, if i wanted that I would use Redhat or Mandrake.
Just my 2 cents. lol

--sonik
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about having the choice between both of the processes :!: :?:

After all, aren't we using the OS of choices/alternatives?

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a discussion about a current project, or simply if an installer should exist? We have several "should one exist" threads, and they usually aren't productive.

Let's not spiral into a yes/no thread.
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux wrote:
What about having the choice between both of the processes :!: :?:

After all, aren't we using the OS of choices/alternatives?

Can't agree more. I would definitely miss something, if I couldn't make a stage 1 install, just following the install instructions step by step and word by word. Therefore, if a setup program is to be included, I hope it will be like: I'll start my installation typing something like
Code:
# dhcpcd eth0
and everybody else
Code:
# gentoo-setup
8)
EvvL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree that Gentoo needs both options. It'd help more newbies install it, not like they don't have to learn emerge anyway.

Thats the only area were Debian currently has the upper hand IMHO. Their installer may be crap but at least they have a installer.

I was also working on a quick installer based made in bash using dialog for awhile but I stopped that to work on a script to clear out all the old files out of the distfiles that weren't used to emerge all the packages on the current system.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly disagree with having an installer. Installing Gentoo is a lot of trial by fire, the directions are all there you just need to follow them. Through a large educated userbase is created making support easier and allowing more advanced functions rather than dumbing things down. If you don't figure things out you won't learn to take advantage of gentoo and you might as well be running redhat.

Gentoo should work more towards making things more powerful and customizable than easier for newbies. Lots of newbies install it every week, if they succeed they become part of the community, if they don't they go back to Mandrake. I'm fine with that.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's a good point, noff.

I'm sure lots of gentooers feel the same way.

Personally I found learning to install gentoo fun and rewarding. I learned more in a week playing with gentoo than I have in a year with redhat and mandrake.

So I think the current method of installing gentoo is a valuable blessing in disguise.

Still I can see where an installer could be useful. For people who have to install gentoo on 10 machines.. or if you want to help non-linuxy people get into gentoo. Personally I don't need the install guide, I know it all off by heart, but it would be nice to run X number of scripts which execute the entire process..

Would it really hurt to have it tho ?

Does it hurt currently NOT having it ?

Tho it IS nice to have a distribution geared more towards linux g33ks who have skillz, not just newbies.

I like to think of the Gentoo install process as a sort of initiation into the gentoo community, and one I'm proud to be a part of :D
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
this poll seems to rather biased, 3 options for yes and only 1 for no? lol I want a "If you dare touch that install process i'll extend my right arm and bitch slap you upside the head!"

I was going to add one like that but I couldn't think of anything funny...

I'm kind of surprised that so many people said no.
I want to clear a couple things up...

I never meant for it it to be completly automatic. I am planning it to basically go along saying "The next step is to run bootstrap.sh, this will take a long time, I will now run "./sciprts/bootstrap.sh"
I also hope it is never set to automatically run. I don't care if I made it completly perfect, the user should have to run the script.

I'd also like to comment about the comments about learning by installing gentoo... I agree that manualing installing linux instead of something like mandrake's installer does a lot to teach you about linux. The installation doc is pretty good, but IMHO, the gentoo install process is clumsy and misleading at some points (just watch the installing gentoo forum for evidence of that)
IMHO I thought that an install program that guided you through everything would be a great benifit and help people get things running and learn what they are doing, but I guess I'm in the minority on that...

To be honest.. The reason I made this poll was thinking a bunch of people would say yes, and seeing that would help me get in gear and get it working... But I guess people really don't want one...

My GPG/PGP Public key
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I've just converted a friend from windows straight to gentoo.. and he and I have been thinking exactly the same thing for the last month..

I think it WOULD be a valuable thing, and the way you've clarified it just now, is almost exactly the way we were thinking of doing it!

So I am all for it.. I think that those who don't want to use it, don't have to.. and those that do want to.. can :)

what do you program in?

good luck!
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
actually I've just converted a friend from windows straight to gentoo.. and he and I have been thinking exactly the same thing for the last month..

I think it WOULD be a valuable thing, and the way you've clarified it just now, is almost exactly the way we were thinking of doing it!

So I am all for it.. I think that those who don't want to use it, don't have to.. and those that do want to.. can :)

what do you program in?

good luck!

I'm pretty good with C/C++, but I'm planning on using BASH scripting for this for various reasons. The only work I've done so far is some experimentation to see exactly how to handle certain things.. So I might change. If you want to help out send me a message ;)

My GPG/PGP Public key
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, if people are too dumb to run simple commands like "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot", they deserve to go back to Redhat or Mandrake. I've converted from a [still-using] Windows user to a Gentoo user. I was shocked at first at how much you have to do, but it's pretty easy. If something went wrong, I asked my IM friend who got me into Gentoo or I came here and asked.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I don't like that attitude.

I think Gentoo can be for everyone, and everyone has different skill levels.

Why can't we make it a little easier for some people?
steelrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion the best is to have an installer for new users and the usual method for advanced users.user must choose what to follow at boot
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. But now i am thinking to myself.. there are people who would like to install Gentoo but they are afraid to do so as soon as they see the Install Guide.

Therefore, it would be a good idea to provide people with an installer. Maybe not as locked down as that of RH, or Mandrake. Something that would let you make all the choices for yourself, but would present them in a same order as the install guide. I think the final result would be something along the lines of an interactive Install Guide. I think everyone would be happied with something like that. :D
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the benefits that I see in the current install method is that it familiarizes people with using the command line and makes them comfortable with what is otherwise a dark place of voodoo magic. Also it introduces people to using a console based text editor..

However, I do think that a collection of tools that simplify the process and consolidates the amount of necessary user interaction for the install into a much briefer time period would be very helpful, especially when you want to install on a large number of systems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: