i have specify pentium-m why display pentium3 (use gcc 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathaniel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: i have specify pentium-m why display pentium3 (use gcc 3.4.3 Reply with quote

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc gconv_open.c -c -std=gnu99 -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -mtune=pentium-m -mtune=pentium3 -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -g -I../include -I. -I/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconv -I.. -I../libio -I../nptl -I/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../libidn/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet-I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3-20050110/include -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h -DPIC -o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconv/gconv_open.og -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconv/gconv_open.og.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconv/gconv_open.og

do you see the top of the message?it said the -mtune=pentium-m -mtune=pentium3
but in my /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -mtune=pentium-m -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

help me ~~~~i have emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc update to gcc 3.4.3 (gentoo2005.0)
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the portage downgrades -march=pentium-m to -mtune=pentium-m and -mtune=pentium3 for stability reasons with glibc. Does this occur with any other packages? Or are you in the middle of bootstrapping a stage 1 and aren't sure?
nathaniel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
It could be that the portage downgrades -march=pentium-m to -mtune=pentium-m and -mtune=pentium3 for stability reasons with glibc. Does this occur with any other packages? Or are you in the middle of bootstrapping a stage 1 and aren't sure?

i am use stage3-pentium3 to install gentoo 2005.0, i want to change gcc to 3.4.3 and i have to make a new toolchains~ so i first "emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc" and then edit the /etc/make.conf, make pentium3 to pentium-m, and then "# env-update && source /etc/profile"
in the second time "emerge glibc binutils gcc portage" i watch when emerge glibc, i saw the problem what i ask before~~~
mlivingstone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nathaniel,

I hadn't noticed that onscreen but I have had similar queries over recent days and done a bit of study into the matter as I have a Toshiba Tecra A3 with the new Celeron M and Sonoma / Alviso chipset.

What I found is that the Pentium M and Celeron M are at their core a P3. Onto this, Intel bollted the SSE2 extensions, more L2 cache and a bunch of registers for controlling the chips frequency etc stepping so it can slow down when not being driven hard and therefore cool down and use less power. You will find however that compiling with it as a P3, PM or P4 doesn't seem to matter. I have done all three and they all ran OK. Prior to kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 it doesn't matter however the r4 to r5 update seems to bring Mobile chipset throttling / stepping into the menuconfig options and will grumble (non-fatally) on bootup if you don't configure the PM as a PM.

From my observations running 2.6.10 upto 2.6.11-r5, your problems you noticed above will have no real effect other than it might run slightly hotter in which case, as long as you have a decent system it might rev the fan a bit faster :-)

HTH

MarkL
nathaniel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI mlivingstone
you means no matter p3 pm or p4 all control by kernel? when configure the kernel choice the cpu correct is ok??
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some paquets, march=pentium-m is considered unsafe, so concerned ebuild are replacing it with pentium3 => normal behavior
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: