suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
suineg wrote:
stonent wrote:
Quote:
or its masked and I wan't to wait until it hits stable. you could say emerge -wish totem-1.1 and after it hit portage, it would be emerge when you did an emerge -u world.

What you just mentioned is what portage already does. If you emerged an older version of totem, totem 1.1 would be installed whenever it was stable.

true, and I know this is a silly idea, but for example, totem 1.0 requires nautilus, and I don't want nautilus. totem 1.1 however, does not require it. So I am going to wait until totem 1.1 hit portage to emege it.

Just because an ebuild lists a dependency doesnt necessarily mean its actually required. Keep in mind that everything is always evolving and ebuilds are just a way of managing dependencies, not a end and be all of a program...

I also wanted to say that your world file is not indicative of what you have installed on your system. An emerge -pe world would be a much better list of all the packages you have installed. If you were to install GNOME, you would find that only the meta ebuild gnome would be listed in your world file. The 50+ programs that make up GNOME, would not be in there...

In the case of totem, 1.0 actually *does* require nautilus, and it is optional in 1.1.

I agree emerge -pe would be great!
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suineg wrote:
I agree emerge -pe would be great!

run:

Code:

emerge -pe world

and to a more verbose extent:

Code:

emerge -pve world

to see every package on your system. The only stipulation with this feature is that any new ebuilds that require updating will be displayed. What I would like to see added is the ability for Portage to recognize what is actually on your system and what is indeed new or going to be updated. Using this feature results in all packages being labelled as N.

What I think is most important for Portage is to iron out the feaures it currently has...
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suineg wrote:

In the case of totem, 1.0 actually *does* require nautilus, and it is optional in 1.1.

No it doesnt. Its a use flag (gnome). If you dont want to install Nautilus, then simply add totem to your package.use with the -gnome USE flag or put USE="-gnome" before your emerge totem. If its being pulled in, its most likely because nautilus-cd-burner is listed as a dependency and nautilus is a dependency of that. Nautilus-cd-burner should really be added into the ?gnome section of the ebuild as I doubt its required for totem, a movie player. It makes no point putting a use flag when a non-optional dependency is going to draw it in anyway...not the best ebuild I have seen.

This is just an example that not all ebuilds are made exactly how they should be. Its up to us to find this little "glitches" and get them ironned out.
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
suineg wrote:

No it doesnt. Its a use flag (gnome). If you dont want to install Nautilus, then simply add totem to your package.use with the -gnome USE flag or put USE="-gnome" before your emerge totem. If its being pulled in, its most likely because nautilus-cd-burner is listed as a dependency and nautilus is a dependency of that. Nautilus-cd-burner should really be added into the ?gnome section of the ebuild as I doubt its required for totem, a movie player. It makes no point putting a use flag when a non-optional dependency is going to draw it in anyway...not the best ebuild I have seen.

This is just an example that not all ebuilds are made exactly how they should be. Its up to us to find this little "glitches" and get them ironned out.

yeah, I know this is the case, but if you check the change log, it says that the gtk use flag is disabled because it breaks things in the current version. The gtk flag when used with the gnome flag, compiles the package with gtk-only, which removes some gnome deps.

But not until 1.0.1 I think is it an option to actually compile out nautilus-cd-burner, totem couldn't not before this version be compiled without it.
ecoffey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this is even feasible, but it would cool if you could do:

Code:
emerge sync category

or
Code:
emerge sync category/packagename

and only update those specific categorys and apps that you want. The reasoning being if a new version of X prog just hit portage, but you don't want to waste bandwidth (yours or the servers) to update the WHOLE tree, you can just grab that specific ebuild :-)

There might be some problems with deps and stuff, though.
alkan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage needs a highly moduler structure and a very good api documentation. So people can make their addition to the protage system. When they make their way into portage tree, we can simply 'emerge portage-distclean portage-pkgclean portage-whish ....' to add those features on demand.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
run:

Code:

emerge -pe world

and to a more verbose extent:

Code:

emerge -pve world

Code:
emerge -pe world | sort
just cos it looks cute (and it's easly readable). Just don't use 'sort' while actually emerging things... you might get things emerged in the wrong order or not emerged at all (maybe even compiled twice)

Hmmm... I'm gonna try this.

*edit* shoot... and I thought it would actualy bork my system... :oops: silly me
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alkan wrote:
portage needs a highly moduler structure and a very good api documentation. So people can make their addition to the protage system. When they make their way into portage tree, we can simply 'emerge portage-distclean portage-pkgclean portage-whish ....' to add those features on demand.

I agree, this would be very cool.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: