Text Browser with 256 Colors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narusegawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Text Browser with 256 Colors Reply with quote

Is there a linux text-based browser with 256 color support over an SSH session? I SSH to my box using PuTTY and run elinks but that only supports 16-colors not 256. I was wondering if there was another browser that does? And preferably with support for a few CSS features.
WARNING: It is a violation of federal law to use me in a way inconsistent with my labelling. I am dangerous to humans and domestic animals. Please avoid contact with your eyes and clothing. I should be stored out of the reach of children.
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps "ssh -X" and links-graphic ...
Narusegawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mainly so I can save some pages from this site. Put them onto a vfat drive and mount that during my gentoo installation.

Then I can atleast read the [ code ] colorings blocks atleast and follow guidelines easier. I know the [ code ] blocks look indented in elinks but having them in their normal green and perhaps the box adds to the readability.

<-- Having major issues with speedtouch usb adsl modem so saving tons of pages to read while I try and get it working. I don't have 300 sheets of paper spare to print of a whole forum tree lol
WARNING: It is a violation of federal law to use me in a way inconsistent with my labelling. I am dangerous to humans and domestic animals. Please avoid contact with your eyes and clothing. I should be stored out of the reach of children.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elinks supports 256 colors. I'm using it in 256 color mode right now. In order to use 256 color mode, you must be in a 256 color environment. To do this with xterm, set your TERM environment variable to "xterm-256color". You can do this by adding this line to your ~/.bashrc and restarting xterm:

Code:

#~/.bashrc
TERM="xterm-256color"

Of course, other terminals may require different steps to enable 256 color support.

The Linux console does not support 256 colors, even in framebuffer mode. You must either do this in X11 or find some other way to render text.

On a somewhat related note: does anybody notice that xterm fudges the formatting in some programs when in 256 color mode? I have noticed problems in gcal and man (using less as a pager). If anybody knows why this is happening or how to fix it, please PM me about it!
Narusegawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know how to get this working over a PuTTY SSH session? Without having X11 on this side of the PuTTY.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it the same way. Set your TERM environment variable to 'xterm-256color'. I have no idea how to do this on win32, so I hope you aren't using it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: