error: cannot run C compiled programs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinkos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: error: cannot run C compiled programs Reply with quote

Okay guys, this is a very weird error, one that i can't even find MENTIONED on all of gentoo forums. Here's my story: my main harddrive (/ partition) crashed, leaving me with only a working /home partition drive. not to be daunted, i hook up another harddrive in its place and try to start over. I had originally built the system using the Stage 1 on 3 with NPTL in the 2004.3 profile, then upgraded myself to 2005.0. So i figured i'd go with the Stage 1 on 3 2005.0 build. to keep it short, it refused to work. kept bombing out, once even giving me a kernel panic that required a reboot to fix. Anywho, i figured the 2005.0 profile was wack (i know its not, it just is for my box) and i went to the 2004.3 which worked previously. I started having problems.. Mostly with things like glibc and gcc compiling. I fooled around with flags and such, and i'm convinced that its not the method thats messed up, but somethign else i must be doing wrong. So far, i have a perfectly md5'ed stage three, and i followed the first step in recompiling the toolchain (7.1 for those who follow the guide) it refused to work. glibc kept breaking after 2 hours of solid compiling. finally though, i recompiled the entire toolchain, by compiling gcc FIRST, before glibc, for some reason that made a difference *shrugs*. and it would ONLY compile with the absolute minimum CLFAGS, i.e. whats shipped with stage 3, but with USE flags of USE="nptl ithreads". then i tried the next step, after several env-updates and source /etc/profiles i try to recompile the toolchain in the same order, no go. By the way, there was an emerge sync in there which upped the current gcc version from -r1 to -r2. i was getting some weird errors that i kept ignoring. so i switched up the order, and i think when i had gcc last this time, it compiled everything fine - except gcc. so, glibc binutils and such should be fully up to date with my CFLAGS, however gcc refuses to compile. So i know it works with zero CFLAGS and minimal USE, but not with slightly higher CFLAGS and my full-blown use. the strange part is the error message, it doesn't seem to make sense with whats happening. heres what i get:
Code:

# emerge -v gcc glibc binutils portage
<snip>
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2/work/build/gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2/work/build/gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include  -m32
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2/work/build'
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2 failed.
!!! Function gcc_do_make, Line 1133, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed with profiledbootstrap
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

any by the way, i've recompiled libtool and libstdc++-v3 several times. in addition i've updated all packaged that are currently on my system so i know the compiler isnt borked, or if it is, in a way thats still functional. As i said earlier, the first time it compiled alright was with the stage3 CFLAGS defaults, and USE="nptl ithreads"
and here's my emerge info:
Code:

# emerge info
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.10
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/amd64/2004.3, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.5 [2.3.5 (#1, Apr 11 2005, 05:53:42)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.5
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r8
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.14
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r4
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=k8 -funroll-loops -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=k8 -funroll-loops -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="amd64 X a52 aac aalib acpi aim alsa apache2 apm avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bzlib calendar cdparanoia cdr crypt directfb divx4linux dvd dvdr dvdread emul-linux-x86 encode fbcon ffmpeg font-server fortran ftp gif glut gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 ithreads java javascript jp2 jpeg libcaca lzw lzw-tiff mad motif mp3 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl offensive ogg openal opengl oss perl png python qt quicktime readline samba spell ssl tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb userlocales videos vorbis wmf xml2 xpm xrandr xv xvid zlib"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Has anyone even seen that error before? i can't find it ANYWHERE on the forums, and i've tried all the fixes for "compiler cannot create executables" in case its like that. By the way, when i do a
Code:

# echo 'main(){printf("Hello World!\n");}' > test.c
# gcc test.c
# ./a.out
Hello World!
#

so yeah, i'm a little confused...
Like i said, i have also updated my system, so only GCC gives me this error, any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

~kinkos
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the php search function sucks, but your problem is mentioned in the FAQs: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-297935.html

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
kinkos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i never expected a reply that fast... I decided since it looked like my toolchain is fine except fir GCC, i'd compile gtk+ (and of course xorg as a dependancy), so as soon as thats finished i'll try your solution 8) btw, can i just have
Code:

FEATURES="-sandbox"

in my make.conf or is that a no-no? Honestly, i've never heard of nor used sandbox, ever.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please follow up to here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=251192.html (it's linked to in a slightly convoluted way from the howto. :) )

Moved from Gentoo on AMD64.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: