URGENT CD Burning issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetsaredim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: URGENT CD Burning issues Reply with quote

I'm having some issues with burning CDs with K3B. I have scsi emulation and scsi cdrom support built-in to my kernel and all. The strange part about it is that it seems to work the first time I try to burn a cd after rebooting... Then every other time it doesn't work. This seems rather strange to me... I really need to use this cdburner for work purposes, so any help would be much appreciated.

Update: I just tried rebooting to get this cd image burned and now it doesn't work at all...

HELP!! I tried going through the guide in the gentoo-wiki, but it doesn't seemt to help...[/b]
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disable scsi emul stuff, or if you need for any purpose then compile as module. Scsi emul does not work well with the latests 2.6 kernels and cd burners. I also had problems with it to play dvds on some machines.

To use the burner without this emul you need a 2.6 kernel, of course.
stsp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a 2.6 kernel? In that case you do not need scsi-emulation at all, it's been deprecated.
You may safely take it out of the kernel. And you only need scsi cdrom support if you *really* have
a scsi cdrom attached on a scsi controller. Most people have ATAPI (IDE) devices.
These show up as hd* devices to the kernel. A quick look at the output of the dmesg command
should answer this question.

Assuming you have an ATAPI device, try:
Code:

cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA

from the command line as root. That should show your device if it's been recognized correctly.
It will show some triple number next to it, like 0,0,0 or 1,0,0 or some such. Note that number.

You can test your setup with the following commands:

Code:

mkisofs -J -r -o tmp.iso /some/small/directory
cdrecord -v -dummy dev=ATA:0,0,0 tmp.iso

where 0,0,0 should be replaced with the triple number that showed up next to your recording
device with the -scanbus command above. The cdrecord command does not write anything to
the cd, it just simulates the burning process (-dummy).

Note that these commands will only work on a 2.6 kernel!

If they work, setting up k3b is simply a matter of playing with the various options and entering
the correct cd recording device. I don't use k3b myself, so I cannot be more specific than that, sorry :)
vblanton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also try using xcdroast

emerge -pv xcdroast

-vblanton
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: