View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KristyX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: X.org Randomly Locks-Up Since Changing S3 Card To GeForce2 Reply with quote

I'm having this really annoying problem.

About a week ago, I upgraded my gfx card from an old S3 Virge to an nVidia GeForce2 card.
I've disabled both GLX & DRI in my xorg.conf and haven't enabled any of the options like RenderAccel
etc. The only thing I have set to true is "NoLogo".

I don't know if this is the cause but the problem is that, a couple of times a day, Xorg will just
lockup. I can't move the mouse, I can't switch to console, I can't do anything.

The only way to get out of it is to restart the comp by pressing the button on the CPU.

I'm not sure what is causing this and I can't seem to decipher the /var/log/messages file..
I don't even know what I'm looking for or how to determine which line indicates that the
computer was rebooted so that I can see the previous lines to get a clue on what caused it.

The lock-up doesn't seem to be caused by a particular application since I've had it happen
whilst surfing the net via Opera, reading an email in Thunderbird or just VNC'ing to another computer.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?

Thanks,
Kristy
KristyX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it'll help but I'm upgrading my nvidia drivers / glx to the next available version (even though it's marked unstable).

I'll let ya'll know if the lock-ups stop.

~Kristy
jasno
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing similar problems here. I started experiencing the random lock-ups with a GeForce MX440 and have since upgraded to a GeForce 6600 with no change in behavior. Everything works fine under XP, and used to work fine under linux until a couple weeks ago. Using the 1.0.6629-r4 drivers, I experience a lock-up after a minute or two of logging on. I can still move the mouse cursor, but everything else is hung. Using the stock xorg 'nv' driver I can go for a couple hours, and when it does lock up even the cursor doesn't work.
KristyX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already upgraded the nvidia drivers and have used the computer for a couple of hours with no lock-ups. I'm guessing that if it doesn't happen within the next 2 days then there's a good chance it won't happen ever.

Jasno, you might want to try upgrading your nvidia drivers [to 1.0.7174] to see if it works for you.

~Kristy

P.S: I'm using "nvidia" for my driver in xorg.conf
KristyX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, looks like updating the nvidia drivers didn't help. Just experienced a total lockup whilst using xchat *sigh*

~Kristy
KristyX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasno, I'm still trying to figure this thing out.. could you let me know if you have any critical errors in your ~/.xsessions-errors (after a lockup)?

Thanks,
Kristy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: