View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zambizzi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.4 - how stable? should I use? Reply with quote

Just curious...why is it taking so long for this release of KDE to make it into stable in portage?

Maybe it's just me...but it seems like KDE was always put into stable fairly quickly after being released...Gnome has always taken a l o o n g time to become "stable".

Could just be me me.

I'd be willing to unmask it and install it anyhow...are there any *huge* problems w/ it? Is there *anything at all* I should be aware of that might turn me off enough to wait for it? I'm not into lengthy work-arounds when it comes to my desktop...I just want to emerge it and use it...which is why I quit using Gnome.

I just got a new dell desktop yesterday and I'd like to start my Gentoo install tonight...and was hoping KDE 3.4 would have gone stable by the time the new box got to me.

Thanks!

-v
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have 3.4 installed and have been using the new konqueror, because firefox 1.02 (both -bin and source) has decided to start crashing every 5 minutes on me.

I started the full thing once and it looked pretty nice for a DE, but I ain't leavin fluxbox.

If you are interested in the latest KDE, go for it... It installs to a seperate slot, so you could install the previous version first and easily switch back and forth if either gives you trouble.
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a hardcored configuration :P of installed split ebuilds does not affect kde 3.4 behavior, really...
Although I don't like this release (am I strange?) it seems to be usually stable and fully functional. Some apps run significantly faster, that was the point for me to install it.

Give it a try, you will come back to whatever you have been using before, anyway;P
episode96
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a quite serious problem with Kuser:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-313211-highlight-kuser.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-312021-highlight-kuser.html

Besides that, I've been using KDE 3.4 for over two weeks now and is the fastest and most stable KDE release I've tried.
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdeadmin-3.4.0-r1 should fix that AFAIK.
zigver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been completely stable for me on 3 different machines. I greatly appreciate the split ebuilds but it's a bit of trial and error trying to figure out exactly what I do and don't want.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zieloo wrote:
Although I don't like this release (am I strange?)

No, you arent, I didnt care too much for it either. The update to KDE 3.4 made me remove all traces of it and move to GNOME and I couldnt be happier. I honestly couldnt work past the login glitches and it wasnt from a lack of trying. It all still leaves a bad taste in my mouth but strictly speaking from moving from 3.3 to 3.4, when I was using the RC and all was well, it was a worthwhile update for sure.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE 3.4 has been running great for me. Had some some issues at first, but I think they were mostly my fault. Don't use KDM, strictly a startx fan, so I can't comment on login behavior. Do run the composite (transparency) stuff in KDE 3.4 with a good bit of caution, as it managed to freeze up my desktop everytime I tried it, provided I used it just long enough.
zambizzi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly...

This is the stuff I was talking about and I *thought* I had seen some people on the forums who had been spooked, in passing. "After I spent 3 days working on the login part, it was great!" etc. etc.

I'll definitely wait for it to go "stable".

Thanks all!

-v
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zambizzi wrote:
Exactly...

This is the stuff I was talking about and I *thought* I had seen some people on the forums who had been spooked, in passing. "After I spent 3 days working on the login part, it was great!" etc. etc.

Thanks all!

-v

The login issue had nothing to do with KDM I might add. It was KDE itself that was messing about. Window decorations would not show up and a plethora of errors would follow, leaving KDE unusable. The issues were supposed to have been solved and rather quickly but I tried everything. Deleting my profile, re-emering, you name it, nothing worked and I got sick of trying, plus I got bored with KDE and the slowness of konqueror loading and certain aspects going to a crawl when my RAM or CPU was being used. The login problem was the straw in this case and I couldnt be happier with GNOME and glad I switched back.

Honestly I would install it if you are using 3.3 and are a KDE fan. It is far better than 3.3 and a lot of bugs were ironned out. Like I said the RCs and even betas were great to use, its odd that I had such problems with the final...

I run my entire system on ~x86 and have my entire DE hardmasked as well as my linux headers and a few other core stuff. Even my kernel just fell of the hard mask list. I found it makes no difference. Its just an playing the odds. I stopped caring about betas and alphas and development and stable a long time ago, like anything, they are just build numbers to me...
coffeeman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very stable on my laptop
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Been using it since it hit portage. Stable and working, except for the KUser major f-up.

--
heath
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems from here.

Only been on a day but it has been used pretty hard since then so any problems should have come out by now.

I'm very happy with it.
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zambizzi wrote:
Exactly...

Thanks all!

-v

Been using it for a long time now and I haven't got any of the problems this people are speaking of, I even find it lot more stable than 3.3.2 which for me was buggy as hell. Now I haven't seen a bug yet. Go for it you won't regret it. And this is the first kde release I like I've always hated kde until 3.4.:wink:
stobbsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it, and loved the Eye Kandy, but it couldn't seem to read any audio cd's, or generate sound.

aRts was off, and XMMS worked, but any other program KDE enabled didn't have sound, whether aRts was on or off.

Went back to 3.3.2, and I'm loving it
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stobbsm wrote:

Went back to 3.3.2, and I'm loving it

I think I'll go bak to it, too:P
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using 3.4 since beta1 and no problems to speak of except for the annoyance of the gentoo startkde script patch that I undid for the most part and kopete having some issues along the way it's been fast and stable on everything here.
zambizzi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
kdeadmin-3.4.0-r1 should fix that AFAIK.

So, in conclusion, there's a login script problem, and Epyon's comment above is the solution?

I'm going to try it out, I can always roll back to 3.3.x, which I'm quite happy with.

Thanks!
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always using KDE versions, even alphas and betas, as soon as I can get my hands on them. Usually works without a problem. 3.4 hasn't given me problems so far. Even kdewebdev-3.4.0, which is now hardmasked, works for me.
jesso
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: kde 3.4 Reply with quote

KDE 3.4 has been stable since KDE released it in March. Why does it take so long for Gentoo to release it?
robbyt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: kde 3.4 Reply with quote

jesso wrote:
KDE 3.4 has been stable since KDE released it in March. Why does it take so long for Gentoo to release it?

because it's still being TESTED for use with gentoo. the "~" means TESTING. + means stable. If you want to push your system, then you have the choice to run ~ software.

Personally, I'm really glad gentoo dev's don't railroad packages into + right away.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone running an stable arch that has kde 3.4 could file a bug report and let the kde team know that it's working and you're not having any issues. That's probably the best way to get packages marked stable is to test them on a stable arch.

Now if you think much if anything has changed in kde 3.4 since it was released by KDE a month ago and this month of waiting will make it better for Gentoo you're slightly mistaken since I only recall a few patches since then for the ebuilds. Testing is for testing the ebuilds mostly, not testing the software when it comes to large software projects like KDE. If they release a "release" version, they release it as a working version, not another test version. ;)
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: kde 3.4 Reply with quote

robbyt wrote:
Personally, I'm really glad gentoo dev's don't railroad packages into + right away.

Agreed. Especially for a major package like KDE. People tend to get annoyed when e.g. they sit compiling for a few hours only to have emerge bug out on some build error. Or when stuff like Kuser gets borked.

If someone knows enough to want KDE 3.4 _ASAP_, then they should know enough to add a line to package.keywords and deal with the possibilities.
wuzzerd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.4 running quite well as ~amd64, less problems for me than 3.3 amd64. If I could use the mouse wheel to change windows like XFCE I would be real happy...
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuzzerd wrote:
... If I could use the mouse wheel to change windows like XFCE I would be real happy...

Do you mean by scrolling the mouse wheel over the background to change desktops? If so, you can: KDE Control Center --> Desktop --> Multiple Desktops, then check the checkbox at the bottom.

If you mean, active borders where you hit the next desktop by moving the mouse to the desktop border, you can do that too.

If not these, then what method are you meaning?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: