Problems with rtc, libstdc++, reboot and dhcpcd [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfragis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Problems with rtc, libstdc++, reboot and dhcpcd [solved] Reply with quote

I finished to install a minimal system with the 2004.3 profile when the 2005.0 was released, hence I decided to upgrade since very few packages were installed.
No errors came out during the process (I used the easy scripted way, http://amd64.gentoo.org/Makefile-profile_update-2005.0) and everything went right, until I rebooted.
Before reporting any bug I'd like to wait for some opinions of yours. Following are the problems:

1. On boot /etc/init.d/modules complains that cp cannot load the libstc++.so.6 library, even if this libray exists, it's been correctly compiled, it's in the ld cache (I tried ldconfig -p) and lots of programs make use of it (but /etc/init.d/modules only complains).
  2. I builded the RTC as a kernel module and I load it on boot by /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. The module is correctly loaded (regardless of the problem with /etc/init.d/modules at point 1). Even that, /etc/init.d/clock (which uses hwclock) fails saying that /dev/rtc does not exist. As I'm using udev, I supposed there must be a sort of delay between the instant rtc is loaded and the character device is created. I put a 'sleep 5' into /etc/init.d/clock and now it seems to work (a 3 second delay is not always enough). Ok, I know rtc could be compiled in into the kernel, but I'm wondering why the rtc device creation is deferred that way: after logging in as root 'modproble -r rtc; modprobe rtc' will remove and then create /dev/rtc almost immediately.
  3. On reboot (and sometimes on boot too) dhcpcd fails bringing up eth0 and asserts another dhcpcd process has been loaded before. I can't really understand why it fails; when /lib/rcscripts/net.modules.d/dhcpcd is called by /etc/init.d/net.eth0, the function clean_pidfile checks for a pid file (which may exist) and for the related process (which must not exist!): what happens is that on boot a process with the pid written in /var/run/dhcpcd-eth0.pid really exists, as if dhcpcd has been called twice.
  4. Often, the boot process doesn't get to the end and after entering the runlevel 3 the system reboots: sometimes it happens after loading the console fonts, sometimes just after bringing up the loopback interface and sometimes while loading the alsa modules... there's not a specific point of crossover.

Where do these problems come from? Has anybody ever seen anything out of these?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by sfragis on Wed May 04, 2005 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
sfragis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with rtc, libstdc++, reboot and dhcpcd [solved] Reply with quote

Almost everything works now.
problem 1: that's the bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91059, fixed
problem 2: solved by doing nothing but many emerge -auv world :roll:
problem 3: that's the (stil unsolved) bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78495
problem 4: no more unaspected reboots, system now completes boot process correctly, maybe some bugs have been fixed (but I've not found anything about them)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: