View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: KDE Transparency & Shadows [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Everything works great with this enabled, except for one thing, when I try to right click in konqueror, I have no menu. When I right click on desktop, I have a menu. When I click on K Menu, I have a menu. Why is it that in konqueror, I have no right click menu?

Last edited by vipernicus on Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
tomvollerthun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Composite extension, which is used by transparency and shadow effects, is very experimental and known to behave badly. It is more than common that things break when it is used. You are lucky that it didn't freeze your box completely
Don't believe my "Guru" status!
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. And since all things work well, and look nice, and at a reasonable speed; I thought I would exploit it.
tomvollerthun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, why shouldn't you.
Does the menu work when the extension is not used?

If you are positive that it is the extension's fault, then you can be quite sure that there's no help but try to hack away till it's gone.
Not that I'm the one to decide that, though...
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disappearance of menus seems a very common problem. Sometimes my K-menu would come up, sometimes it would not. Invariably everytime I have tried transparency I have ended up with a frozen desktop :( ... thing is that KDE doesn't really seem to like it sometimes when you kill it versus logging out properly, hence I am staying away from transparency for now I suppose. The transparency and shadow effects do look cool though.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: trans & shad Reply with quote

It's weird, because, I can disable all shadows and transparencies, but leave the option enabled, and still have no menu. Disable option, and I will have the menu. Hehe, I think I just figured that it is coming up as 100% transparent, because I can click on the empty space where it should be and it will use what invisible option i clicked.
tomvollerthun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: trans & shad Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
it is coming up as 100% transparent

Wow, now that's what I call a cool feature.
That's something MS-Windows won't be able to for centuries. (Boy won't they be jealous ;)

tom
FuriousGeorge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just posted something like this last night to no avail

last time i set up xtranparncy everything worked great. then i got new hds, and where 'Option "AllowGLxWithCompoisit' 'true'" and 'Option 'RenderAccel' "true"' got everything working nice last time (menu's appeared and composite used HW acceration), this time they did exactly nothing.

my best guess is that it has to do with not using VIDEO_CARD= in make.conf for me geforce. i think i remember doing that last time.

I notice I get way more X crashes, and much worse behaivior now that it isnt working with 3D (althought they both work independantly)
FuriousGeorge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt solve my problem, but i think i solved yours. i was looking over the gentoo nvidia docs, and remembered i had forgot to buil "Support for MTRR Devices into my kernel.

no my kmenu works great but composite still doesnt use hw acceleration. remains to be seen if its less crahy
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: mtrr Reply with quote

I have mtrr enabled, everything is working perfectly, except right click menu in konqueror, it is 100% transparent for some reason. I wonder if there is a bug at kde.org about this?
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the fdo xserver, it has much updated composite support. I hope they merge it with x.org before 6.9!

http://xserver.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXserver
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: fdo Reply with quote

Um, that looks like it is seperate from xorg, and it doesn't support any xorg drivers. sounds like a sure fire winner for fixing my issues! hehe, j/k.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: transparency Reply with quote

Wow, it is hard to believe that no one else has this problem, I wonder if it has to do with the KDE Improvements patch I am using as well...
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: transparency Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Wow, it is hard to believe that no one else has this problem, I wonder if it has to do with the KDE Improvements patch I am using as well...

I think others have experienced this without realizing it, after all the menu is 100% transparent :) ... When I tried transparency in KDE myself, there where times when I could not see the K-menu. I could click the K-menu button, see nothing, but it was obviously pushed. I could then click the K-menu button again and it would raise back to its normal position. So, after reading this forum, I believe my menu was there but 100% transparent. I just passed it off as KDE wasn't showing the menu at all. Now I am using ati-drivers so I can't try transparency again unless I change.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Score! Reply with quote

SOLVED! I disabled all KDE Software effects, and then enabled Trans and Shadows and everything works perfect, and even faster than before!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: