Games + recalcitrant sound = not much fun
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpenguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Games + recalcitrant sound = not much fun Reply with quote

I have a sound problem that seems to be specific to games. Mplayer works fine, with sound and everything, but whenever I start Americas Army or Tribes2, I get an error like this:

AA:
Code:
open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such device

Tribes2:
Code:
open /dev/dsp: No such device

Just to be on the safe side, I checked to make sure that /dev/dsp did in fact exist:

Code:
# ls -l /dev/dsp    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 Apr 16 12:39 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp

I've been messing around with this for a couple days now, and I cannot figure out what is wrong. ALSA seems to be working just fine (mplayer doesn't have trouble using it), and I can't find any running processes that might be grabbing /dev/dsp.

Any thoughts or ideas on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Using fresh 2005.0 install, 2.6.11-gentoo-r5
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enable and load OSS emulation? You might be missing part of if you have, and some games only know how to handle OSS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: