Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unable to open an initial console...(Solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sircave wrote:
Move /sbin/init? Point to Boot? A partial portion of my grub.conf file is listed above. Do I need to add another parameter? Boot=/dev/??? perhaps? Thank you for your observations.

I'm sorry to add confusion to this thread.

When you changed root=/dev/hda1 to root=/dev/hda3 the missing init problem was fixed. You don't need to move any files, or make other changes to your grub.conf

I was just trying to explain where init was located, and why the kernel could not find it.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing an stage 3 install just off the cd should be pretty simple.

I failed about 20 times when i first started with gentoo, so i know what its like. I have a top, print out the install guide.
sircave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sorry to add confusion to this thread.

When you changed root=/dev/hda1 to root=/dev/hda3 the missing init problem was fixed. You don't need to move any files, or make other changes to your grub.conf

I was just trying to explain where init was located, and why the kernel could not find it.

Dude, I am so tired that I can't even see straight. I should have figured it out that you were talking exactly about that. Thanks for that.

Quote:
doing an stage 3 install just off the cd should be pretty simple.

I failed about 20 times when i first started with gentoo, so i know what its like. I have a top, print out the install guide.

It has been anything and everything except simple. And for the record, I printed both the 2004.3 and the 2005.0 docs and used each one, page by page during my installations, answering the question of "Did he RTFM?." One would think it would be simple, but the dam instructions do not allow for two drives, one on a pci controller card and the other a SATA drive. Everything assumes that everyone reading or installing is linux savvy. I have even seen the warnings about Gentoo not being for newbies, but then how the hell am I supposed to learn and grow if I can't touch the distro of the century?? Hell.....the build up to this dam distro is so big that I plan on trying to install it one time, perfectly or die trying, just so that I can see what the fuss is about. And the day that newbies give up on trying to install a distro, difficult or not, is the day Microsuck wins back customers who would rather pay for an OS that breaks down but is easy to install. I get so frustrated and pissed off reading about these other people with their one, two, three or four line threads, where they installed the distro and then had forgot to do some little thing and recompiled and now their system is up and I am still beating the dam manual up against my blank screen and its blinking little cursor. OMG.....I just vented my butt off. Sorry about that......so tired and frustrated.

Got Root?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: