View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjoret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Can't start Gnome or XFCE [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have emerge the gnome metapackage with a few hundred dependencies ... When I start it through GDM/KDM or startx, it will start show the Slash screen, and after the second icon in the splash starts ... it stops and leaves me with a mouse on a light blue background.

Last edited by jbjoret on Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
ekutay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a meta package does not have to compile ...
to start gnome, you can use a xdm like gdm and choose the gnome session as value, or / and set it as default session in rc.conf. did I get you wrong?
jbjoret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

gnome won't start (I don't have any problems with KDE 3.4 currenty in use), it will start with the spash screen looks normal for 3 secs and then just stop leaving me with a mouse and a background. I wanted to reemerge gnome. But you are right, I thought that emerging the metapackage would reemerge the whole thing. Problem is, since I was frustrated I emerged xfce (I want to move away from KDE), I have exactly the same problem, It starts, shows the background with the mouse and then nothing. I don't know in which logs I can look at.

Any idea ?
ekutay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually all you have to do is
Code:
emerge xfce4
or even
Code:
emerge gnome
. Btw. there is another gnome ebuild called gnome-light.
This should emerge all further dependencies. Maybe you should unmerge the emerged base ebuilds, but I'm not sure, just doing a emerge --update --deep gnome/xfce4 should take care of it.
Everything else you can find in the docs for gnome http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml or more basic for xserver setup http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml.
jbjoret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I did not explain my problem correctly. I have emerged gnome. Everything seem to be installed. But gnome won't start correctly. I don't know in which logfile I should look for the problem. xorg is ok since I have no problems at all to start kde. It has nothing to do with GDM since the problem Occurs with or without. Gnome starts, I see the welcome slash panel showing th<t it is bein loader, and then it stops and leave me with a mouse and nothing else. Same with xfce. Maybe I should change the title of this thread.
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, gnome AND xfce don't work....have you tried running a gnome app from inside KDE (since you say it works), e.g. fire up a kde terminal and type "gnome-terminal". Both gnome and xfce use GTK+, so if both don't work then maybe there's something wrong with gtk+. You could also check to see whether you have any broken libraries using revdep-rebuild (part of gentoolkit).

Cheers,
James
ekutay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paste the output of a
Code:
emerge info
and
Code:
emerge --pretend --tree --deep --update gnome
, if c0bblers advice did not help you.
jbjoret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. The gtk idea was good. I finally came with the idea to create a new user and try to see what happens ... and guess what ... it worked. So I got rid of all my user gnome/gtk configurations and restarted witth success. There must have been something wrong with the user GTK settings I guess. Now I have to decide between Gnome & Xfce which is another story :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: