View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul555
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: kmix xine and alsa Reply with quote

Hi all i use kde3.4 with alsa 1.0.8 and the last 3 days i have problems with kmix and xine(and kaffeine) crashing.When i launch xine-ui or an another gui such as kaffeine and then try to open and play a file they are crashing.Also kmix is crashing often with no cause or when i launch a file in gmplayer.I search the forums and i find that this is like a problem with alsa and its final version 1.0.8 and i have to downgrade to an earlier version.How can i do that?Also that may fix the problem or starting thoughts to delete kde and choose an another lighter window manager?
redfox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's a bad package. I had to downgrade to 1.0.7 to fix it, not hard.
Quote:
emerge =alsa-headers-1.0.7 =alsa-lib-1.0.7 =alsa-jack-1.0.7(if you have it) =alsa-oss-1.0.7(another if you have it, which you probably do) =alsa-tools-1.0.7 =alsa-utils-1.0.7 -pv

That should take care of it. Once you ensure that that's all your packages, remove the -pv and let it go.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better way would be to mask all the >1.0.7 packages in /etc/portage/package.mask until the problem gets fixed, or they will just get upgraded if you do an emerge -upD world.
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably really bad advice, but I had this problem and only downgraded alsa-lib... has been perfectly stable for me at least....
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drwook wrote:
probably really bad advice, but I had this problem and only downgraded alsa-lib... has been perfectly stable for me at least....

You're right on that one ... I don't actually use Alsa any more, but alsa-lib and alsa-headers still get installed, and downgrading just alsa-lib fixes my xine problems.

As a general rule though you should try and keep all the Alsa stuff (and that goes for the drivers esp. if you're using those in the kernel instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild) at the same revision no.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: