View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ablyes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: [Exposé] exposé for gentoo or freebsd Reply with quote

salut, hi !
i wander if Exposé (integrated in macOs X) is developped, or available in gentoo or freebsd.
i know that there is another project named Komposé for Kde desktops. But i've tried it, and i felle sorry for the developpers. komposé is far far away of the interactivity of Exposé. so forget it for me !
i am really interrested in Exposé.

sorry for my english ! (correct me if you have time, i want to improve it)
thanx !

merci les gas :)
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underlying technologies that make things like Exposé possible (fast window scaling in particular) aren't really available on Linux at the moment. People are working on them (OpenGL accelerated windowing systems, the X.org composite extension, etc.), but as yet, they're in more or less an alpha/beta state.

Things are changing quite rapidly compared to how they have in the past, though, so you can probably look forward to seeing things like Exposé and more in Linux in the not-too-far-off future (and in fact, people have given tech demos of things that look similar to Exposé, though the overall product isn't there). However, at the moment, you're unlikely to find anything that works much better than Komposé.

You might want to try skippy-xd, but honestly, I don't think it's going to be what you're looking for. Sorry.

P.S.: If you want to see someone using Exposé-like technology on Linux, try looking up the Novell keynote video where one of the Gnome developers (I forget which) demos Luminocity, XGL, and Beagle (among other things). I'd look it up myself, but I'm a little too tired at the moment. Also, note that the graphical stuff he demos is just that, a demo, and isn't really in a generally usable state at the moment.
ablyes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you'll remember it, you know what to do !
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)

http://www.novell.com/img/flash/load_stream.html?temp=1&id=bs2005_friday_keynote

Okay, here's the keynote speech. The speaker you're looking for is Nat Friedman; his part starts at about 1 hour 5 minutes, starts off with Beagle (not graphics related) and goes on to the XGL and luminocity stuff.

This: http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/ has some additional videos of fun stuff in luminocity, like wiggly windows.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, the keynote is a flash video embedded in a popup window, so make sure you have both of those enabled for that site.

Oh, and the actual graphcis stuff starts at about 1 hour 17 minutes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: