View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man....well it was my first patch ever ....so forgive my noobness ;)

The wierd thing is the patch I made is basically the same as the second patch listed on the bugzilla bug...just the line numbers are different...The change in line numbers is caused by the previous two patches being applied ie. the gentoo freetype2 patch followed by the ubuntu patch...

But the whole point of me posting here in the forums, as opposed to going straight to bugzilla was to work out any kinks....And once the basic ebuild+patches works right then some editing is needed on the ubuntu patch to take out a couple of ubuntu specific things...

I am going to build the binary again for a friend tonight with another cpu-type, this will be the tthird time I've built the binary...
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right! I've created working patches and edited the ebuild a bit. I didn't have to remove anything from the ubuntu patch, just change the file directories that were specified...

I will post this ebuild and patches and all that on bugzilla right after this post...

That was stupid... I pasted the ubuntu patch here :( Sorry ppl and gentoo mods :( was too long. I will post it at bugzilla...
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's in bugzilla:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89242

Maybe I should create a HOWTO for it and post it as a separate post...

Alex.
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox? GTK? Gnome-Integration? Ahm, Epiphany??
Quote:
Firefox has better and more extensions, has a pull down URL with history and type ahead find, and is generally much, much more feature rich than epiphany.

"Feature-rich" is the word, the epiphany developers never went for. Hence you cannot claim firefox is better as epiphany follows a different aim than you are.
This shouldn't end up in a flamewar but in a comparison why this modified firefox is more suitable for people than using firefox. Nonetheless firefox is the base for epiphany, so if these diffs do not harm the compilation of epiphany against firefox (we are not going to "mutate" firefox, it should rather be a separate ebuild) you can certainly submit this as an advancement for firefox and commit it into the current firefox-bugreports on bugs.gentoo.org. See bug 86070 for this issue.

Just don't say "YEA, THIS IS THE BEST EVER, YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST LIFE EVER WITH THIS". This won't convince anyone. :)
Blaubaer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allex87 wrote:
OK, it's in bugzilla:

Alex.

I really would like a howto.

btw: firefox 1.0.3 has been released, if i could install firefox 1.0.3 with
the gtk fileselector that would be great.
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaubaer wrote:
allex87 wrote:
OK, it's in bugzilla:

Alex.

I really would like a howto.

btw: firefox 1.0.3 has been released, if i could install firefox 1.0.3 with
the gtk fileselector that would be great.

And here is your howto! :)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2317752.html

Regarding 1.0.3, well, I'm using the Ubuntu patches... I will try tonight maybe to apply them, but I'm not sure they will work. The safest bet is to wait for Ubuntu to release updated patches...

Alex.
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyp0r wrote:
Firefox? GTK? Gnome-Integration? Ahm, Epiphany??
Quote:
Firefox has better and more extensions, has a pull down URL with history and type ahead find, and is generally much, much more feature rich than epiphany.

"Feature-rich" is the word, the epiphany developers never went for. Hence you cannot claim firefox is better as epiphany follows a different aim than you are.
This shouldn't end up in a flamewar but in a comparison why this modified firefox is more suitable for people than using firefox. Nonetheless firefox is the base for epiphany, so if these diffs do not harm the compilation of epiphany against firefox (we are not going to "mutate" firefox, it should rather be a separate ebuild) you can certainly submit this as an advancement for firefox and commit it into the current firefox-bugreports on bugs.gentoo.org. See bug 86070 for this issue.

Just don't say "YEA, THIS IS THE BEST EVER, YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST LIFE EVER WITH THIS". This won't convince anyone. :)

Don't want to start a flame war, but Firefox IS better than Epiphany feature-wise. I like Epiphany because it loads faster than Firefox, but I really like my Adblock extension... Only reason why I stick with Firefox, really...

This patchset makes your firefox 'blend-in' more nicely in the GNOME environment. You don't have to use it if you don't want to...

Alex.
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allex87 wrote:
You don't have to use it if you don't want to...

Yes, as I use epiphany this is obvious, but this "let's get this into portage" suggests more than just an individual use of this "feature".
I'd like to know, if I had features twic...
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyp0r wrote:
allex87 wrote:
You don't have to use it if you don't want to...

Yes, as I use epiphany this is obvious, but this "let's get this into portage" suggests more than just an individual use of this "feature".
I'd like to know, if I had features twic...

It's not a feature, it's an improvement. And I agree, it's not realistic to have this in the main firefox ebuild, but it should work for a overlay ebuild...

Alex.
nat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allex87 wrote:
Regarding 1.0.3, well, I'm using the Ubuntu patches... I will try tonight maybe to apply them, but I'm not sure they will work. The safest bet is to wait for Ubuntu to release updated patches...

Alex.

I'm not really sure that ubuntu will release a patch for 1.0.3. It looks like the ubuntu patch fixes the problem that 1.0.3 is supposed to solve, so there is no need for 1.0.3 in ubuntu.

I'm really excited about this firefox/gnome stuff. The file dialogs in firefox has annoyed me for a long time.

What about applying this in main firefox ebuild? trigged by the gnome useflag. None gnome users wil never see it. (USE="-gnome" and its gone)
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat wrote:
None gnome users wil never see it. (USE="-gnome" and its gone)

Why none-gnome users only? I'm a gnome user and I don't like to see it, too. So poking around with the useflags will certainly be an unfriendly game. Also updated firefox versions will conflict with the ubuntu-update, as you need to right patch, too. This will defer firefox' ebuild release for sure, which many non-firefox-gnome-ubuntu-patch-wanting users simply don't want.
So build a separate or overlay ebuild, but don't expect it to become official.
nat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyp0r wrote:
nat wrote:
None gnome users wil never see it. (USE="-gnome" and its gone)

Why none-gnome users only? I'm a gnome user and I don't like to see it, too. So poking around with the useflags will certainly be an unfriendly game. Also updated firefox versions will conflict with the ubuntu-update, as you need to right patch, too. This will defer firefox' ebuild release for sure, which many non-firefox-gnome-ubuntu-patch-wanting users simply don't want.

Well... this what the useflags are for. All programs that has support for gnome will include the gnome support when the gnome useflag is on. If there is a gnomeaware program that you specifically don't want gnome support it can be turned off like I said. If you are are a gnome user and don't want gnomesupport for you none-gnome apps, you are still able to USE="-gnome" emerge gnome.

BTW... ubuntu has actually nothing to do with this. If firefox is to be patched, we could find out where ubunt found those patches and use them from there.

hyp0r wrote:
So build a separate or overlay ebuild, but don't expect it to become official.

Actually, you are probably right about that:
Lokheed wrote:
Lets clear the air. Ubuntu has done NOTHING here. This Firefox is the trunk build. The branches fork from her and get released as milestones. This trunk build is a strictly development build and has encorporated the new GTK file browser, a new Preferences UI and a few other changes.

Ubuntu didnt hack a thing and deserves no credit here. If you want to try them, go to the mozilla forums and download the latest nightly to play with. It should also be made aware that Thunderbird also has a trunk build. You dont need patches, just install the trunk builds...

So we maybe want a mozilla-firefox-trunk or something like that. However, I would *really* appreciate to get gnome integration in firefox.
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat wrote:
Well... this what the useflags are for. All programs that has support for gnome will include the gnome support when the gnome useflag is on. If there is a gnomeaware program that you specifically don't want gnome support it can be turned off like I said. If you are are a gnome user and don't want gnomesupport for you none-gnome apps, you are still able to USE="-gnome" emerge gnome.

No, it is not. The USE-Flags are a means of selecting features you like, not deselecting them. Whenever you deselect a feature, it's one you explicitly don't want. E.g. Ldap is not needed by the average user, so he won't even select it. You really expect the average user to be able to know, that there are nifty hacks in his firefox-distribution he may not like??? What do you expect from them? Reading the ebuilds before they use them? lol. Nice joke. Don't tell me ~x86 is enough. It is not!

I understand, that YOU want convenience, but OTHERS don't want experiments. I could also say, that epiphany is currently undertaking all these integrations and proven stable as epiphany is fully intended for use with a gnome-desktop.
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out -
I have used Firefox trunk builds since it was still called Phoenix - and the gtk file selector makes it really painful to select a program to open a file with - for example, i want to open a movie in mplayer, i browse to /usr/bin - and then I have to wait about 30 seconds before the file listing is done because /usr/bin is a directory with a lot of files. I liked the old one where you could just type in the filename - no such love from the GTK+ filepicker.
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy wrote:
Just to point out -
I have used Firefox trunk builds since it was still called Phoenix - and the gtk file selector makes it really painful to select a program to open a file with - for example, i want to open a movie in mplayer, i browse to /usr/bin - and then I have to wait about 30 seconds before the file listing is done because /usr/bin is a directory with a lot of files. I liked the old one where you could just type in the filename - no such love from the GTK+ filepicker.

When you're about to go to the directory, press the / key, that opens up a "address" line with autocompletion. It's really neat and I use it all the time. Oh, and I have gtk 2.6
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allex87 wrote:
Legoguy wrote:
Just to point out -

When you're about to go to the directory, press the / key, that opens up a "address" line with autocompletion. It's really neat and I use it all the time. Oh, and I have gtk 2.6

Why can't the GNOME developers make things like this more obvious? I don't expect to have to read docs about a file picker to find this stuff out, for god's sakes!
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy wrote:
allex87 wrote:
Legoguy wrote:
Just to point out -

Why can't the GNOME developers make things like this more obvious? I don't expect to have to read docs about a file picker to find this stuff out, for god's sakes!

Then again, a novice user who just came from windows might go like... uhm.. what's this /something crap? and doesn't really want to see the address bar... I personally like it the way it is right now... And I don't think it's the gnome people that made the file selector, but the gtk+ people...
nat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy wrote:

Haven't you used ROX? Have you used vim? Have you used less? Have you used firefox? "/" is the most intuitive I could have imagine. Do you have any better suggestions on how this should be handeled? And as allex87 points out, having those things visible would only confuse the real novices (like grandma).

To be honest, I didn't like the gnome file selector in the beginning either. It was... hum.. different. When I discovered all those small nice little things I completely converted to gnome. Its the firefox file selector that annoys me nowdays.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could build the Gnome desktop with Firefox to replace the Mozilla & Epiphany requirements, that would be perfect. I have no use for Mozilla or Epiphany when I always have Firefox installed on my machine.

If Epiphany coverts their app to build off the firefox code-base, that wouldn't be such a problem (would only be an extra UI, not an entire 2nd code-base + 2 UIs to bother with).

Is Gnome 2.1x going to move to Firefox, now the Mozilla suite isn't under active development ?
nat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ard Righ wrote:
If we could build the Gnome desktop with Firefox to replace the Mozilla & Epiphany requirements, that would be perfect. I have no use for Mozilla or Epiphany when I always have Firefox installed on my machine.

If Epiphany coverts their app to build off the firefox code-base, that wouldn't be such a problem (would only be an extra UI, not an entire 2nd code-base + 2 UIs to bother with).

I *think* Epiphany already uses the firefox codebase. At least I saw some patches for firefox to make i play nice with epiphany - dont remeber details.
Ard Righ wrote:
Is Gnome 2.1x going to move to Firefox, now the Mozilla suite isn't under active development ?

I suggest you read the Epiphany FAQ

I actually think that its more correct to use epiphany as default browser in gnome (read the FAQ before commeinting that) and then it is natural to keep firefox clean from gnome and have a separate mozilla-firefox-gnome/mozilla-firefox-trunk ebuild. (take also a look at the mozilla-firefox-gnome-support package in ubuntu) Alternatively use a minimalistic gnomified patch with the "gnome" useflag.

In any case, I think we should find out how they got those patches, get them from there and make our own gentoo gnomified firefox, the same way ubuntu did. But depending on Ubuntu to release patches is probably not a good idea.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat wrote:
I actually think that its more correct to use epiphany as default browser in gnome (read the FAQ before commeinting that) and then it is natural to keep firefox clean from gnome and have a separate mozilla-firefox-gnome/mozilla-firefox-trunk ebuild. (take also a look at the mozilla-firefox-gnome-support package in ubuntu) Alternatively use a minimalistic gnomified patch with the "gnome" useflag.

I would have no problem with Epiphany IF it did in fact rely on the Firefox code-base. But it doesn't, it downloads the Mozilla suite, and compiles from that. Which is why Mozilla is a dependancy, and Firefox is not.

Firefox and Epiphany seem to be cut from the same cloth so to speak, they are both browsers designed for a specific goal. Removing the Mozilla dependancy, and moving to Firefox would actually kill 2 birds with one stone - most distros want to support Firefox anyway, and Epiphany needs a gecko-based browser to run off :)
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ard Righ wrote:
nat wrote:

I would have no problem with Epiphany IF it did in fact rely on the Firefox code-base. But it doesn't, it downloads the Mozilla suite, and compiles from that. Which is why Mozilla is a dependancy, and Firefox is not.

Firefox and Epiphany seem to be cut from the same cloth so to speak, they are both browsers designed for a specific goal. Removing the Mozilla dependancy, and moving to Firefox would actually kill 2 birds with one stone - most distros want to support Firefox anyway, and Epiphany needs a gecko-based browser to run off :)

The epiphany ebuild for gnome-2.10 (epiphany-1.6.0?) builds using either mozilla or firefox.

Cheers,
James
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I originally started this thread was the hope that some of those in the Gentoo community who are more proficient in all things mozilla/firefox would be able to help us create a 'native' firefox-gnome-support ebuild.

It was not my intention to make Gentoo, via this ebuild, in anyway dependent upon Ubuntu. The credit the Ubuntu guys deserve is that they have already done this work. Sure one can rightfully point out that the gtk stuff is in the AVIARY branch of firefox-but knowing this and having an ebuild for firefox which utilizes these features are two different things. I spent several hours trying to find out what is necessary to get firefox built with these features straight from firefox-to no avail-I do not know the AVIARY branch sufficiently to be able to decipher exactly which options in which order must be enabled in order to build firefox with these features.

Moreover it was not my goal to replace epiphany with this version of firefox for the GNOME desktop. It is just that there are several distinct practical advantages to using firefox over epiphany, such that it makes it appealling to me and some number of other people. The lack of a drop down URL bar and support of proper extensions under epiphany are two major turns-offs for me although otherwise I like epiphany, ie. it looks good, is stable and works.

Morevove if you wish to use epiphany in a thinclient situation you run into some number of problems. There are some number of extensions from mozilla/firefox which actually do work with epiphany-albeit undocumented and as such hit and miss. However there is no way to install a third-party browser extension which is immediately accessible to all users in a multi-user system. My hack to get a third party browser extension(flashblock) working for all users in our LTSP setup involved hacking /etc/profile to launch a perl script which checks to see if some user has already used epiphany and whether or not the browser extension is already installed. Then if the user has not already run epiphany it then launches epiphany to create the ~/.gnome2/epiphany directories and contents- and once this has been done the script then installs the browser extensions for that user-once this is done an empty file is created (touched) which indicates that this installation has already been done-and it is this touched file which is referenced in /etc/profile.

With firefox I simply install an extensions and make it available to all other users...

And of course there are other issues to -like the fact that firefox has a degree of name reognition by non-linux users-whereas epiphany produces rather puzzled facial expressions. To the extent that I can use firefox in our LTSP setup and the users of this setup can recognize the names of some of the applciations it helps smooth over uncertainties and doubts about the software-plus people may then me compelled to install firefox on their own machines at home-whereas with epiphany this only workswith Linux/GNOME. Yet at the same time I wish to provide a self-consistent UI for all applications our users use-ie. the same file-picker provides a superificial, yet concrete, consistency with the GNOME desktop. Once the print dialog has been merged this process will be completed and my users won't have to grok multiple differtent file-pickers and multiple different print dialogs...

If I knew how to build firefox with these features without using Ubunut patches I certainly would have done so...and I hope the result of this and allex87's work will be a native Gentoo ebuild.....

The first person who posts an ebuild which allows us to achieve the same results without using the Ubuntu patches will recieve a HUGE round of kudos from people like me who would love to see such-and of course the ubuntu patched ebuild would quickly be replaced for a superior alternative....

So instead of bickering-pitch in and help make this happen ;)
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IWBCMAN"]One of the reasons I originally started this thread was the hope that some of those in the Gentoo community who are more proficient in all things mozilla/firefox would be able to help us create a 'native' firefox-gnome-support ebuild.

It was not my intention to make Gentoo, via this ebuild, in anyway dependent upon Ubuntu. The credit the Ubuntu guys deserve is that they have already done this work.
<snip>
The first person who posts an ebuild which allows us to achieve the same results without using the Ubuntu patches will recieve a HUGE round of kudos from people like me who would love to see such-and of course the ubuntu patched ebuild would quickly be replaced for a superior alternative....[/quote]

I was investigating this a couple of weeks ago myself (after I installed Ubuntu on my laptop).

I might be going crazy, but it appears to me that Ubuntu dropped the GNOME support from Firefox (since 1.0.2-0ubuntu1 back in March)?
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2162
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7192
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7979
I know there is a mozilla-firefox-gnome-support package that has all the gnome-vfs stuff.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to open an old can of worms that seems to have silenced weeks ago, but...but...

At the time this entire thing exploded, I was using Ubuntu. In fact, I was using Ubuntu Backports to get the latest-greatest Firefox. Let me tell you: Epiphany is a nice, fast browser, but it's nice to be able to choose Firefox, and it's especially nice that Firefox can integrate into the desktop.

If you stop thinking of it as the GNOME desktop, and instead think of it as the desktop (which it's becoming for a number of people) then it's easy to understand why some people would want this. If I install Firefox on Windows, I can (more or less) integrate it into the desktop; if I install it on OS X, again, I can more or less integrate it into the desktop. Why not GNOME? Heck, maybe someone should get some patches together for KDE support (I doubt it would be that difficult--add support for standard KDE dialogs.) Further, GNOME allows you to select any browser you want as the default browser -- I can select Konquer right now if I wish. 8)

Enabling the patches via USE flags would be a brilliant idea. For those of us who want optional GNOME support on packages that allow optional GNOME support, it would be pulled in (the Firefox builds already accept a 'gnome' flag, chill.) For those of us who didn't, we would have standard GTK+. I really don't understand why people must argue about it, unless anger and ignorance have so blinded people that they've forgotten that this is the way things have worked for quite some time in Gentoo. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: