View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: X start problem [solved] Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but searching with Links is quite hard. :-) But I couldn't find it here, nor on google.

I'm having problems with starting X... and I don't know where to searc the problem, and even less how to solve it. I followed the HOWTO of the Gentoo documentation.
X -configure did wrong sync rates, so I did the xorgconfig script.

To test, I typed in X. It started and I got the black/striped screen with the X mouse cursor. But when I type startx, I get errors.
Because I don't know how to copy paste in console, here's the link to /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
-snip-

grep EE didn't produce any error lines, but here is grep WW:
-snip-

If you wonder, I didn't install the ATI drivers (yet). But I tried installing Gentoo yesterday too (two times, ffs), and with the ATI drivers I got the same problem.

I figured to do it this time w/o the drivers first, and if everything worked install the drivers for 3D stuff.

Can anyone please help? This is the last (4th) time I try install Gentoo,... if it fails horribly again (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong..., but still), I'm afraid I need to install Windows again. :-(

Greetings

Last edited by thomasvk on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this
Quote:
Symbol drmGetClient from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o is unresolved!
in your error log. My recommendation is change your video card driver to "vesa" should be enough so you can get into an unaccelerated desktop session so you can use a GUI.

Other useful information would be your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and possibly the last few lines of "dmesg" if there are any errors.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the dmesg have anything to do with the X start? Because it's empty now, so I could reboot to have it 'full' again.

With VESA I still get errors, here is the log:
-snip-
And the Warnings filtered out:
-snip-

Here you can find my xorg.conf:
-snip-

Greetings

Last edited by thomasvk on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out a little something. If I type X it starts with an empty screen, but if I type startx it goed back to the command line right after showing the screen.
Now I compared the X log after running with X and after running with startx with
# diff Xorg.0.log Xorg.0.log.old

The only difference is the date/time! Also, after startx, all my colors are changed.

I don't understand a thing of it. :S
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...third post in a row,.... this must look very newbish. :/ But well, can't blame me, I'm a newbie. ;-)

Anyway, I experimented a bit and looked around. Saw I didn't have DISPLAYMANAGER in rc.conf, so changed that to xdm. Then when I typed startx I got a login prompt. Still not what I was used to (three xterm windows).

But then I started thinking, and exited from su, and typed startx. Tadaa \o/ the three xterms.

I guess this is all logical, or something.

Sorry, :-(
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense sort of. If nothing is run within startx it will just exit out. This can happen if rc.conf is configured incorrectly. Although it still should default to the 3 terminals. As long as you got it, all is good. :wink:

EDIT: Actually that is rather odd. startx should spawn your XSESSION. Default is what you are used to. Otherwise you can set it to kde-3.4, gnome, fvwm, Xsession(this is the 3 terminals). If you run /etc/init.d/xdm start, then it should spawn DISPLAYMANAGER. Maybe the behavior has changed and if XSESSION is not set nothing happens. Seems like that would make things confusing even for those that our experienced.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, and now I'm in firefox too,... going to fetch KDE sources, and compile them over night. :-) I'm a happy man again.

But,... I still have a question... and I might probably find the answer elsewhere, but while I'm at it, I might just ask it right here. Do you recommend to just # emerge kde, so I have KDE 3.3.2, and upgrade when 3.4 comes stable into portage, or should I make use of the KDE split thingeys with ~x86 keyword? :-)

Thanks for your comments btw, you're the only one. 8O
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t0maz wrote:
Aah, and now I'm in firefox too,... going to fetch KDE sources, and compile them over night. :-) I'm a happy man again.

But,... I still have a question... and I might probably find the answer elsewhere, but while I'm at it, I might just ask it right here. Do you recommend to just # emerge kde, so I have KDE 3.3.2, and upgrade when 3.4 comes stable into portage, or should I make use of the KDE split thingeys with ~x86 keyword? :-)

Thanks for your comments btw, you're the only one. 8O
Cool, glad it works!

Well I'm running kde-3.4 and I'm quite happy with it. There is the occasional issue where kicker crashes. There is a thread on it here somewhere. I believe it was linked to kmix and alsa. I doesn't happen enough to bother me. Otherwise there are quite a few improvements with kde-3.4. So it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. kde-3.3.2 works as good as any other kde release. This thread may help you to make a better decision than relying on my word alone.

Here's my kde stuff for package.keywords to save you from putting in yourself. Keep in mind I don't have everything kde in there, just the stuff I use.
Code:
kde-base/arts ~x86
kde-base/kdeaddons ~x86
kde-base/kdeadmin ~x86
kde-base/kdeartwork ~x86
kde-base/kdebase ~x86
kde-base/kdebase-pam ~x86
kde-base/kdegames ~x86
kde-base/kdegraphics ~x86
kde-base/kdelibs ~x86
kde-base/kdemultimedia ~x86
kde-base/kdenetwork ~x86
kde-base/kdepim ~x86
kde-base/kdetoys ~x86
kde-base/kdeutils ~x86

Glad to help you out. I'm sure someone would have gotten to you. Sometimes it just takes a day or two.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. :-D At least I have a running X window now, and damn I'm so glad I can normally use FireFox, hehe.

I'll look into the KDE thing a bit more, and this time not rush things. I can start the compile from my work tomorrow anyways. But.... can you tell me what kicker is? :-) I looked a bit, couldn't find it. Google image search returns a lot of different screenshot.
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicker is the component of KDE that handles the panels. It holds the taskbar, system tray, clock, etc. When it does crash it automatically loads back up. If it crashes a second time, running kicker from a konsole or run dialog will bring it back up.

Sorry, I take some terminology for granted :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: