View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimichel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: X problem! Many Errors! Reply with quote

Hi, I have installed gentoo a few days ago and emerged kde and it worked fine. I then edited a config file (xorg.conf i think) to add the lines to support scrolling with the 3rd mouse button (as said in the guide on the gentoo website). The file taht i edited was empty at 1st so i overwrited with only about 4 lines (the lines with the stuff for the mouse). I then rebooted, and bang KDE doesn't load when I boot up (yes xdm is set to default runtime with rc). When I do X -configure, I get a Error 11 (with a message by it, but I dont remember it and im at school right now so I cant get it). I asked for help on the IRC chan and ppl told me it was probably a X problem or ATI drivers problem (I have a Radeon 9800 Pro) so I dediced to try and unmerge X and emerge it back after. Same problems still. I then unmerged ATI drivers and I emerged them (and left my comp emerging them overnight. I haven`t seen the results yet, but I doubt its going to work... just a feeling).

So anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
KsE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it worked the first time and you had never edited your xorg.conf file before, that means it was using a default. This would explain why the file was empy, 'cause it wasn't there and it was created when you tried to edit it.

Please post the error that X-configure gives.

You could try xorgconfig also. Copying the xorg.config.example file might even work.
Jimichel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I tried using the xorg.conf.example but it didnt work, and using xorgconfig didn`t work either.

The error when I do "startx" to manuallly start it is Error (9 i think): No Screens Found
The error when I do "X -configure" is Error 11 (dont remember what it is)

Both errors are "Fatal Server Errors" and I'll get log posted here once I'm home (couple hours)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: