Setting up new Users?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAM-Computers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Setting up new Users? Reply with quote

When setting up new users in gnome, What permissions should I give myself there is a huge list. I don't know what half of them mean and when I give myself all of them things look funny, besides isn't that just giving myself the same as the root user? I want to be able to do pretty much everything by supplying the password, but I don't want to compromise my system.

Any help
lfe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regular user is in only a few groups: audio (to use sound applications), games (guess what? to play games), users (by default), and wheel (to be able to su). But being in portage, you can run emerge and qpkg for queries (but I suggest doing installations as root). Haven't needed anything else for now.

HTH
Andy Sz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I think it's best to give your day-to-day user the mininum number of permissions necessary to do what you need to do. You can then use sudo to allow your everyday use to execute certain commands that only root can normally execute, such as reboot (at least on my system). This is the safest way, especially if you have people who not familiar with linux using your computer on a regular basis.
256MB RAM
10GB HD
ESS Maestro
ATI Mobility 8MB
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lfe wrote:
My regular user is in only a few groups: audio (to use sound applications), games (guess what? to play games), users (by default), and wheel (to be able to su). But being in portage, you can run emerge and qpkg for queries (but I suggest doing installations as root). Haven't needed anything else for now.

HTH

Have to agree with lfe. Let a user belong to users, audio, games, & wheel only. And if you don't know what the group is, you probably don't need it...

taurus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: